Author Topic: "Berks County Longrifles and Gunmakers----1750-1900"  (Read 10415 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
"Berks County Longrifles and Gunmakers----1750-1900"
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
A beautifully done and complete history of Berks County gunmakers has now been published by the Historical Society of Berks Co and Patrick Hornberger.
A fine resource for all students of longrifles and their makers. Very high quality color photography.
Hurricane

Online JTR

• member 2
Re: "Berks County Longrifles and Gunmakers----1750-1900"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday.
Although I'm still stuck out on the ship, so will have to wait to see it!
From what I've heard, it's a dandy of a book!
John
John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
Fred,
The $80 were for signed copies and only 250 were printed. If you look a little further down the regular issues are $64.95. Price includes shipping. Here is the link. http://www.berkshistory.org/giftshop/
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
I shall order one as soon as I get home!   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
Received mine yesterday [45th wedding gift from wife] and it contains a very nice set of rifles/guns in full color--my only complaint is that so little is said about each rifle/gun--no dimensions, calibers, etc.  But a very pretty picture book with a nice write-up on the history and gunmakers of the region.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
Got mine yesterday also. The color photos are nice but I would like it to have shown views of the tang and underside of the rifles. Also no calibers, dimensions etc are given.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday. Very nice book. I have been waiting for a books on Berks Co. guns for quite some time.  :)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
Mine is in the mail; ordered three days ago. Unless I am grossly mistaken, this book can be considered to be a prelude, or foreword, to a comprehensive and exhaustive study of the whole Berks pantheon of rifles, builders and styles. It would not surprise me if the concerns and comments given here are not covered off in the coming book.
Author and publisher, Patrick Hornberger, (a descendent of barrel makers and rifle builders), took time off from that book to prepare this exhibit and the catalog. When his duties are done on this, he will take up the work on the major book once more. I will be sending photos of my Berks County pieces, all save one unseen, for his consideration as to inclusion in that book.
Any of you having such rifles can contact Patrick about this matter.
Dick

Offline eastwind

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:59:14 PM »
Thank you Dick for the little plug. Don't think I didn't want to get into more detail, other detailed shots etc. but readers have to understand I was under orders from one of the largest/oldest historical societies in Pennsylvania to stick to the point. and stay on budget (the photography cost alone would buy a decent long rifle), not to mention the hardbound with dustjacket, 4 color printing throughout. (forgive the small book promotion). This is a book about the guns in the Exhibit---not a book on all Berks County guns, albeit these are some of the best.
   I knew I couldn't waiver from the basics of each gun and I had to treat each gun equally. The lack of detailed descriptions was intentional - reason #one: a large percent of the Exhibit's audience would be "newbies". #2: The focus of the Exhibit and the guns selected is on their art/artistic and historic merit - not on the guns shooting ability/calibers/construction, etc.
  In any case, it is a prelude to my - in the works - BERKS COUNTY GUNMAKERS book.
I hope you buy the current book (my work was pro-bono for this Exhibit and book) and I certainly hope you can get to the Exhibit. For those of you that cant get there I'll post a few Exhibit photos, if someone volunteers to post from my email--I cant do Photobucket yet.

If you have a Berks gun--I'd love to see it and maybe include in my next book...contact me at: eastwind@hughes.net

Thanks,

Patrick Hornberger - Author and Curator of the Exhibit - BERKS COUNTY LONG RIFLES & GUNMAKERS
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 02:15:12 AM »
Ordered just a while ago.

I'm happy to get whatever photos I can.  Especially anything in color!  Man, I hate black and white photography.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »
Good golly, Miss Molly!!! My deluxe copy (number 243 out of 250, which means that I just squeaked in the door) arrived today. I opened the soft pack, and liked to have dropped my dentures over what came out. This book is beyond beautiful and stands on its own merits one hundred percent. If you don't get a copy you will regret it.
Sorry that I won't be able to see the exhibit, but this catalog leads me to great anticipation and excitement over the coming Berks book that Patrick can soon get to work on again. Berks rifles are no longer 'just Berks rifles'; they are among the best of the craft and some old time collectors who have turned up their noses over a rifle as just 'being another Berks rifle' may have cause to review their attitudes. This is just a great job with fine printing to augment the generous number of rifles depicted.
Dick

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:57:14 AM »
Patrick,

enjoyed the exhibit and the catalog.  Looking forward to your book.
Kunk

ERH

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:43:47 AM »
I got # 247 of 250 today  picked it up there ;D nice pictures

Offline gusd

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
Great job on exhibit & book!
Can't wait for new book.
Gus

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »
I'm planning a trip to the Philadelphia area around the November 7 & 8 weekend, during which I'll be visiting this exhibit. (I'm really looking forward to it!)

Just to be sure anyone planning a trip is aware, the Berks County Historical Society's normal hours are Tuesday thru Saturday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.  They are CLOSED, Sunday & Monday.

Bill

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »
Just got my book today. Wish a gunmaker had taken the pictures and showed more details. Great color. A couple of buddies are going with me tomorrow to see them. Can't wait.

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:50:23 AM »
I made the trip to Reading today with my Dad, Don and John Getz, Mark Wheland, Art DeCamp and few others.  The rifle display is fantastic.  It is a great opportunity to see original rifles.  I have looked at many of these guns in the various books, but nothing beats actually seeing them right in front of you.

The Historical Society has done a great job with this exhibit. If you get a chance, it is well worth the trip.

We then went to Dixon's and made a stop at Cabela's. A good time was had by all.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 12:05:30 AM »
Yes, we had a great trip and saw the exhibit....wow, some great guns there, stuff you don't see very often.   Also picked
up a copy of the book, #55 of 250.   The display is really well done.   Now I have to take another trip down that way, my
wife was so interested she wants to see it also.    They have some other neat exhibits in the museum as well, furniture,
painted chests, grandfather clocks, etc.......all very well done..............Don