Author Topic: front sight problem  (Read 3927 times)

Offline yip

front sight problem
« on: October 07, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »
  anybody have an idea how i can make my front sight stand out? i don't want to paint it, cause it ain't primitive correct. right now its browned and i'm a havin a hard time shooting on our trail walk in the woods.i did paint it red for years but got ribbin for it. any ideas would be appreciated.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Re: front sight problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:40:41 AM »
FWIW, my hunting F/L with a thin blade front sight carries a !/8" diameter, 1/4"  long bit of polished , bleached  white deer antler, careully slotted and affixed on the blade.  If I can't see it to place it on a target, it is time for me to walk out of the woods.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:08:39 AM »
Why not go with an all silver or brass blade front sight, Yip?  Track of the Wolf has a pretty good selection of both the last time I looked, or you could make your own.

ERH

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
Bill slusher from pa  makes one that has a ivory inlayed in the front makes a nice white sight   I am sure some one knows his number

DEADDAWG

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:32:43 AM »
Yip, What I did was put 90/10 solder on the edge of my front sight. When I want it bright in the woods, I just scrape it with my knife edge. When I want it dark in the bright sun, I just rub a little fouling from my pan, tarnishes in a second. When needed, I just refresh it with my soldering iron lightly tinned. If it gets a little over the side, just scrape it with your knife and touch up the brown with a little yellow mustard. Works for me.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
A little back slanted angle to the sight's back helps to show a bright line in the bush. It should have a flat, but polished surface.  If it's rounded, it will give off-shots in the sun due to bright glare on the sides of the back surface, just as some of the store bought beads do.  I carry a felt pen for dulling the sight's reflection. Some makes of magic marker are better than others. The best is the flat black, easy to erase type. mark it for black after loading as if you bump it, it will rub right off.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
A little back slanted angle to the sight's back helps to show a bright line in the bush. It should have a flat, but polished surface.  If it's rounded, it will give off-shots in the sun due to bright glare on the sides of the back surface, just as some of the store bought beads do.  I carry a felt pen for dulling the sight's reflection. Some makes of magic marker are better than others. The best is the flat black, easy to erase type. mark it for black after loading as if you bump it, it will rub right off.
I v recently did exactly that slope on a frt sight and can't remember what rifle I did it on (or was it my smoothy-must investigate)  Point is it does help, and my shootin eye is not too young anymore! ::)

Offline BJH

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
All my guns have a brass front sight rounded barley corn style. I keep them polished up and in the woods they stand out nearly as well as a fiber optic does.  Tarnish them back with some schmutz from the rifles pan if they are too bright for range use. The brass front sight also stands out nicely for paper target use. Much better than silver as far as my eyes are concerned.  BJH
BJH