Author Topic: Broken ALR.com forums  (Read 11638 times)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Broken ALR.com forums
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:44 AM »
Hey Guys,
Did any of you moderators break the "ALR.com" forums? I'm thinking a key piece of the system software is gone from the warning I'm getting?
Not that I don't like the new one ...but the real building stuff is still going on there for now.
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Broken ALR.com forums
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:23 AM »
I just read all the forums a few minutes ago. Everything was fine.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 02:28:38 AM »
I get scares almost daily on the old forum. Won't load, crashes, etc.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:33:13 AM »
Me too.   It seems when I do a search I have a 50/50 shot at getting something or it timing out on me.    Sometimes I can't get it to load at all.\
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 06:37:33 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with the search function.  Usually it times out on me the first time, then the second try it works real quickly.  Either way, the archives are priceless!!  I must use them once or twice a week, more when I trying new stuff. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »
Me too.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »
We gotta figure out some way to save the posts, threads, chats...  whatever you call all that information on the old ALR...  I search it all the time, active first, then the archive...  it priceless!

Someone suggested copying to a CD or DVD and selling them....  I'll take serial #1.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »
We gotta figure out some way to save the posts, threads, chats...  whatever you call all that information on the old ALR...  I search it all the time, active first, then the archive...  it priceless!
Someone suggested copying to a CD or DVD and selling them....  I'll take serial #1.

To quote a venerable old gentleman, "I'm Paul Harvey and I've got news for you."

If the archives can't be transferred, they will be lost.  It's a fool's folly.  I know from personal experience, having changed servers thrice in the past 12 years.  I also thought I would put mine on a CD.

Consider the arbitrary number of 3000 postings per month.  That's 36000 postings per year times 10 years = 360,000 individual messages with an average of 8 lines per message = 2.88 million lines of text.  All this would have to be extracted, edited, put into a readable format and burned to a CD which had search capabilities built into it.  It would take a dedicated person several years to complete the task.

Pogo said, I have seen the enemy and he is us."  If the me-too, thank-you's, and non-content and off-topic related postings were removed, the archives would probably shrink by more than 75% which would still be a monumental undertaking to achieve.

If they can't be transferred, then I think the only viable alternative is to lock the old site to new messages and subscribers and keep it alive as an online archival site that is linked off the new one.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »
They will not be lost. I have the entire database downloaded to my PC hard drive every night! They are in MicroSoft Access format and I know of no way that they could be put on a CD that would be easily readable on ones own PC. Brian is working on this and we will eventually have an answer. But I will have the data on my PC even if we can not transfer it to the new site.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:15:21 AM »
Funny, I have not had hardly any troouble with the old forum and I have been on it from the very beginning. Maybe it has something to do with my having cable internet service?

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 04:25:37 AM »
Randy,
I was having repeated problems with the board not loading and with time outs when doing a search.  I know several other were also. 
We from time to time have had a huge problem with spam e-mails showing up in the various forums.  At one point I was deleting 10 a day and that was just me. 
Ken
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:28:51 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:55:57 AM »
THere is going to be some spam leakage anywhere. Our system at work filters out an average of 600,000 spam hits perday and yet we all have to delete btween 20 and 50 spam messages perday....Mondays are $#*!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
We from time to time have had a huge problem with spam e-mails showing up in the various forums.  At one point I was deleting 10 a day and that was just me. 
Ken

Ken,

You guys must have been doing a great job. I was on the old ALR site on a regular basis and never saw one spam message show up.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »
I'm surprised to hear you were not having problems with it loading.  Some of the mods, myself included thought the board might crash before the new one got up and running. 
Ken

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
I agree with Randy. I was on the old board quite often and never experienced any problems loading or spam issues.

karwelis

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »

Not that I don't like the new one ...but the real building stuff is still going on there for now.
Jim

if we dont start participating over here, we cant make the new site as good or better than the old one.

karwelis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
Funny, I have not had hardly any troouble with the old forum and I have been on it from the very beginning. Maybe it has something to do with my having cable internet service?

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
Your good luck wasn't coming from having cable, I have cable and there were times that I would go for 30 minutes or more and not be able to get to the board much less do a post or some type of admin service. I complained to the host and they said it was far more traffic on the board than what it was designed to handle.
Dennis