Author Topic: Flints  (Read 4811 times)

Offline gibster

Flints
« on: August 10, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »
Guys - If you are needing some good flints, check out the ones that Rich Pierce has listed in the ALR Member Read Only section.  I ordered some from him and they are great sparkers.
Gibster

Offline T*O*F

Re: Flints
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
There is a reason he is listed in the "Read Only" forum and that's to discourage replies.  There were 15 pages of testamonials on the old board.  Testamonials are purely subjective to a particular user.  They just waste space.  Everybody has their own "favorite" product, but 99% are no better or worse than other products on the market, be it locks, barrels, touch-hole liners, flints, etc.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

tg

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »
"Testamonials are purely subjective to a particular user. "

There must have been a lot of particular users to make 15 pgs. of testimonials,  it is good to know there are some other options with the sometimes limited availability of the English flints lately, and I'll add another purely subjective critique on the Pierce flints...they work very well and are very reasonably priced. I hope I have not wasted to much of your space with this post TOF.  :(

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
Generally flints are something I use to fill out an order and have accululated a few English flints.  Due to the testimonials I ordered some of R P s flints.  One thing I liked wa that I was able to ask him what size to get for my L&R "Hawken" lock.  He filled the order with 3/4 by 3/4 flints which worked fine.  I cannot say if they are better or worse than English as I have not had a chance to shoot enough yet to tell.  They spark in locks that spark well with English flints.

DP

Offline mdtnhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »
I just got some from him. Fast service!

Burgess_rudy

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »
As mentioned your mileage may vary, but, here is my recent experience. I just finished tuning-up with polishing all the parts in the lock on my Brown Bess. The trigger pull is much smoother than before and the entire action is better. I put in an English flint and it was okay, but I expected a better spark after doing so much work on it, so I ordered some of Rich's Miracle Flints that I use in my Chambers English lock.

When the Musket flint arrived I went into a dark room and fired the English Flint first again as a test. Then I replaced it with the Missouri Flint and got not only good spark but the sizzle and bouncing sparks to the floor. Why they work better for my two firelocks is unknown, but they do and that's all I care about.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »
Steady, Lads.  If you all keep this testimonial thing up, TOF may vapor lock on us for fear of wasting electon space.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:44:51 AM »
RICHES' ROCKS are A#1 in my book..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......