Author Topic: WTK- Where to get Matchlock Rope? Made some and added PICS!  (Read 7561 times)

AZ Longrifle

WTK- Where to get Matchlock Rope? Made some and added PICS!
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:08:40 AM »
I just bought a really cool Canadian made Matchlock Musket and need all cotton 3/8" diameter rope for it.
Once I have that, I can go to the Hobby shop and buy a jar of Saltpeter to mix a solution to soak the rope in it, to keep it smoldering.
I went and bought some cotton rope at the Hardware store, but, it had a plastic core in it. That will not work.
Now I have 50' of new clothes line!
Any suppliers out there?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:57:04 AM by AZ Longrifle »

Offline 490roundball

Re: WTK- Where to get Matchlock Rope???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 03:13:43 AM »
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:05:44 AM »
 Might try cotton sash cord.

Offline ChipK

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
Try cotton mop heads.  I have used them for years in my fire start kit

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:48:46 AM »
AZ
I understand that if you cut your washline in two foot sections it is easy to pull the nylon center out.  That helps in getting the rope to soak up the potasium nitrate.  When I tried hemp cord only the outside layers soaked up the nitrate.  It was wound very tight.  I know my nitrate was good because the three strands of cord would unwind an inch on the end while soaking.  Those ends burned with a lot of sizzle.  FWIW
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »
You've piqued my interest.  Show us a picture or two please.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »
Dixie Gun Works used to sell  it.  Don't know if they still do.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
Potassium nitrate is what I've used on Sharps combustible paper cartridges. Many old fashioned hardware stores carry it disguised as "stump killer" powder. Just make a saturated solution.  Lon

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 05:55:54 AM »
A friend of mine has been shooting a matchlock caliver for a while and seems to have the techniques down pat. He searched around for just the right slow match material and did a lot of research. He ended up buying hemp cord and braiding his own 3/8" match. You used to be able to find 3/8" braided hemp, but not lately.

He had tried braided cotton but it would fray out into a big dandelion head. Twisted rope was useless. What you want is the end of the match to look like a glowing cone. His hand braided line did that.

He tried soaking it in saltpeter but found that it spat sparks. He was worried about accidental ignition and ditched that. The best treatment he found (from 17th century texts) was to soak the braided cord in vinegar to leach out the lignin from the hemp. That made it burn hotter. He'd rinse it in water and then soak it in a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid and then rinse again. Then he would air dry it. He can light it with flint, steel, and charcloth and it glows nicely.

I'd recommend doing a web search for hemp cord and see if you can find someone who is still selling the 3/8" stuff. If not, get some finer cord and braid your own. You might try this stuff, although at 5.6mm it's a bit small: http://www.rawganique.com/Dept-Hemp-Accessories/hemp-braided-cords.htm

Have fun and don't underestimate the matchlock. My friend holds his own with the flinters.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:22 AM »
He had tried braided cotton but it would fray out into a big dandelion head. Twisted rope was useless. What you want is the end of the match to look like a glowing cone. His hand braided line did that.

I have very limited experience with slow match but I can save you the trouble of web searching, round braided hemp bigger than 5.6-5.7mm (0.228") doesn't exist anymore (flat braid is still available but the spec's vary greatly from mfg to mfg).  Twisted hemp also dandelions too.  All the searching I did turned up nothing for double-braided 100% cotton in 5/16" & 3/8" outside of China.  New cotton sash cord & wash line is cotton over synthetic, cotton/synthetic blend or contains colored synthetic tracer threads. 

I'd also like to see some pic's.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Levy

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
Years ago, I cleaned some wadding from a cannon pulled from a 1733 wreck.  It appeared to be somewhat coarse and maybe hemp.  It was flat braided like a pigtail.  After I dried some of it, it burned with a nice glow on the end and smelled like a firecracker.  Either they were using matchord/linstock chord for wadding or the chord got nitrate during its long stay in the cannon bore with the powder charge.

James Levy

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:05 AM »
Thank you for all of the great suggestions and info on how to make match cord.
I tried my hand using Canute's instructions and the Hemp rope soaked and rinsed works very well and burns hot. I also took the plastic center out of the cotton rope, as per volatpluvia, and found that to work very well too. So I can use up the 50' of cord too. I just have to relight it after a while.
Here's my pics of the new Matchlock Gun from Canada. It came from militaryheritage.com.
Very nice guys there and great service to the USA. I had it in my hands in 1 week!
Weight on the gun is 8.6lbs. Lighter than it looks.
I have next to go and shoot it this weekend and will post a report on it using 75 grns of FFG powder and shot.
Thank you all again!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:11:39 PM by AZ Longrifle »