Author Topic: Question about old, Virginia rifle maker  (Read 3923 times)

Jefferson58

Question about old, Virginia rifle maker
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
Hi Folks:

Just wondering if any of you can tell me more about a rifle maker who lived in Virginia with the last name of Klett? I assume he was German, but past that, I am in the dark. Several internet inquiries have not turned up much.

I am particularly interested in the style of rifles he produced, features, time period, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Question about old, Virginia rifle maker
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
One of the most famous surviving early rifles out there is signed "F Klette - Sevensburg".  It is beleived he worked in northern Virginia (Stevensburg) around the 1770s-80s timeframe.

It is shown in detail in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America volume 2 - classic early gun - strong Germanic influences - stepped wrist, triggerguard with a small bow and long grip rail, nice carving, a brass patchbox with no peircings but superb engraving.   The engraving has a very "English" feel to in style.

Perhaps someone on here can scan some pictures for you.  I am sure if Flintriflesmith sees this he can probably tell you a lot more.  If you have some additional information on him, or are a descendent, I am sure folks on here would love to hear about it.

Guy

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:56:13 AM »
Frederick Kleet (Klette, Klit, etc.) worked at the arms manufactory in Fredericksburg Virginia during the Revolution. He was the shop forman and his FK stamp appears on several surviving "Rappa. Forge" marked guns including two wall rifles and a pair of officers pistols. The wall rifles are amazing in their similarity in style to the surviving rifle in RCA.

When he made the rifle pictured in Shumway's book he was working in Stevensburg, VA but not the town in northern VA. He was in a small town on Route 3, Germania Highway, between Fredericksburg and Culpeper. He was closer to Culpeper. Goggle Stevensburg VA for more info and a map. The town was not founded until after the Revolution so the RCA rifle is later than most folks think or would like.

One of Kleet's apprentices went on to be a foreman at Harper's Ferry. The trigger guards on the Hall breech loaders made there show a lot of Kleet influence.
Gary

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

scooter

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »
That huge $$$$$ gun is the only one known so far. Very distinctive. I have photos of it too in my 2nd VA book. Klette moved to KY but no proof he was a gunsmith there