Author Topic: OK... Who made the lil Frizzen Spring Vice ?  (Read 20887 times)

Birddog6

OK... Who made the lil Frizzen Spring Vice ?
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
I thought I saw a lil frizzen spring vice on here the other day, now I can't find it or the guy that made it.

Was it on this site ?

If so, would the maker of this lil vice please send me an email .

birddogsix@yahoo.com

Thanks

Keith
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:26:43 AM by rich pierce »

tuffy

Re: OK... Who made the lil Frizzen Spring Vice ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
Keith... you can purchase this little frizzen spring vice from Dixie Gun Works for a mere $55. :o ;D
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2784

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
Keith   that looks easy enough to make, have at it  ;)

Broke

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
Someone had them for $30. which I can live with,.  But I can't tell ya right now, I ain't buying  nothing  from DGW.   What little QC they had before totally left  the premises with Turner.

Guess I will make one.  Just seems like a PITA  without a milling machine,. I would rather work on rifles than make tools. 

Thanks

Keith

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
Birddog
Here is a picture of Jim Chambers personal frizzen spring vice.Much simpler.

Mitch
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:27:20 AM by rich pierce »

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
I have 2 that are similar to that, one works well on the large Siler & the other on a  L&R Calssic, but they won't work good on some other locks styles.  I got mine from Dave Motto years ago at Friendship. Looks like a bent spike with a hook on the end of it.

roundball

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:44 AM »
This is the home made shop tool section, but since others have posted about commercial spring vises, I'll mention this simple, inexpensive alternative for anyone who might find it workable:
The smallest size little 1.5" C-clamp for $1.25 at Lowes or a hardware store has worked perfectly over the last several years...both TC and now Chambers siler locks.

Instead of coming in from the hinge end of the frizzen spring, it comes in at 90 degrees from the side...puts the jaws in the same place as that one one coming in from the end.

EXAMPLE:

http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcategory.asp?category=Hand+Tools&supercategory=Clamps+%2D+C%2DClamps&subcategory=Adjustable+C%2DClamps&type=False&specs=True
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:29:39 AM by roundball »

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
This is what I currently use. Have one for a large Siler & one for a L&R classic. They won't fit on some of the locks, so was thinking maybe the lil tool the guy made would be more versatile & not have to make a tool to fit every single lock.  ;)  This lil bar work really good & easy.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:28:10 AM by rich pierce »

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:06:03 AM »
I can forge one of those in 10 seconds. Dead easy.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
One every ten seconds, at $5 ea, why, that would be $30 a minute, $1800 per hour, minus materials.

Neat gizzie, simple, too.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »
I'd buy a couple at $5.

Bruce

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:46 AM »
Dave Doliver of Lopez Longrifles in Shelton, Washington sells a frizzen spring vise like the one Keith showed the picture of.  I got one and like it very well.
DMR
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:10:50 PM by David Rase »

tuffy

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 08:48:07 AM »
David ... Could you give some contact info for Dave Doliver?  I did a google search on Lopez Longrifles and came up with a blank.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:57:35 AM by tuffy »

MSLitho

Offline Acorn Mush

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
I thought I saw a lil frizzen spring vice on here the other day, now I can't find it or the guy that made it.

Was it on this site ?

If so, would the maker of this lil vice please send me an email .

birddogsix@yahoo.com

Thanks

Keith

Birddog6, that frizzen spring vise looks identical to one I bought from Mike Moore back in '02. His address at that time was P.O. Box 576, Oakridge, OR 97463. Phone number was (541)782-4935. Don't know if he is still there or not.

Muzzleloader magazine did a write-up on it in the Jan/Feb '02 issue.

It is a handy little tool to have.  Hope you find something to suit your need.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Consectatio pro excellentia in mediocris

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
David ... Could you give some contact info for Dave Doliver?  I did a google search on Lopez Longrifles and came up with a blank.

Tuffy, contact info for Dave Dolliver is

Lopez Longrifle Company
                     161 S.E. Lynch Lane
                     Shelton, Wa. 98584
                     (360)  426- 5159
                Email:  suedolliver@juno.com

your better off calling Dave between, 9am and 6pm pacific time

dannybb55

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
I'd buy a couple at $5.

Bruce
[/quote
 Bruce. I'll turn a few up this weekend and test them on a small Siler  feather spring. I just made an ash barrel channel plane and I have to make the iron for that, a router iron and a set of morticing chisels so give me time. Danny

dannybb55

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
Bruce, It took about 9 seconds and works like a charm. It's easier than making chain. I felt like I needed to add some decoration or a screw driver in the other end, or maybe a trigger to pull. Still want a hand-full? I am keeping the first as it is too simple.

willy

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 09:59:42 AM »
I guess the redneck is showing in me because I use a pair of needle nose vise grips?

The other DWS

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
I'm not a redneck, ( just a SW MI apple-nocker, we don't get enough sun here to get our necks red) and I've been using a pair of old vise-grips for spring vises for years.  I have two I--one medium sized one quite small  got out of my grandad's tools after he died and I've polished the jaws so they don't scratch the springs and have just the tiniest bit of a lip at the tip of the jaws.  I have a regular old style spring vice in my hunting bag, just for authenticity, but the vise-grips work a lot better.

Sean

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:19 AM »
Those frizzen spring vises are still on Cannon Mike's web page:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~cannonmike/

Sean

William Worth

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
There was a man named Frazier in Wheelersburg, Ohio that made a neat little frizzen spring vice.  I don't have his business card anymore, but a web search might turn something up.

I've used "C" clamps or a hand vice before for that purpose.