Author Topic: Tip Curtis Kits?  (Read 17257 times)

Dancy

Tip Curtis Kits?
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »
I know several of you guys have recommended his kits, what styles does he offer and are they suitable for a beginner? I would enjoy seeing some completed examples or hear of your experiences with building them. The reason I ask, my cousin is considering getting a longrifle kit for his teenage son for Christmas. Needs something very easy to complete, simple and not too expensive, maybe a southern poorboy.

Thanks,

James

California Kid

Re: Tip Curtis Kits?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:48 AM »
He offers guns finished in the white, I.E. the wood and metal needs to be finished, all the difficult work already completed. Good quality components.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »
I have not built his kits but I have handled his completed Lancaster rifle. I thought it was a nice rifle - don't know how much the person paid for it but it was nice. I understand that you can get it in the white and do the final finishing which may be the best option for you as Christmas is close. I would recommend you give him a call and discuss it.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Potsy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:52:01 AM »
Believe it or not I stopped by Tip's today.
He had several guns in the white and has more stocks and barrels in inventory than you can imagine.
I'm working on a .40 Lancaster Kit that came from him.  Good components at what I felt was a pretty reasomable price.
I've had a couple issues, but this is my first build and I'm sorta feelin' around in the dark.  He's been very helpful with any questions.
AND HE LUVS SOUTHERN GUNS.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 04:59:40 AM »
He has a catalog with some of his styles and prices. Call and ask.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »
Can someone post his contact info or a web address if he has one. Id like a catalog.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:02:20 AM »
No Web site, Tip is Pretty low tech.  Here's his contact info.

Tip Curtis
P.O. Box 203
Cross Plains Tn. 37049

615-654-4445
email-tipcurtis@bellsouth.net

I have a 2006 catalog that is about 10 pages, and lists components, plus kits for Dickert, J.P. Beck, John Armstrong Berks County, Verner, Virginia, Dubbs/Bucks Co., Bucks Co., Fordney,Haines, Marshall, Reading, Small Virginia, Ohio, Lehigh valley, Bonewitz, York, English Fowler, and at least 10 to 12 more.  Its a pretty simple Xerox copy catalog but worth asking for.  Also the best bet is the phone, as he only occasionally checks email.  If you are near him , it's definately worth a visit.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:24:10 AM »
Unless the kid is Extremely talented, very unlikely he will get one of Tip's kits built.  Sounds to me like the kid needs a GPR kit or something like that.

I have built well over a dozen of Tip's parts sets (I don't call them kits) and they are parts sets & there is allot to do to them to get to the end results.  Don't get me wrong, I like them & have always had too luck & good results with anything from Tip.  And they are great because they are not over-inlet, like I am seeing in allot of parts sets now from other venders.  (It really ticks me off to buy a stock & immediately have to start gluing in pieces to fill the over-cuts the stock carver made)

But IMHO, Tips parts sets are Good, but are not toss together sand, stain, done kits, these are "parts sets" to build rifles.

I have built his big Lancaster,  York, Dickert, Isaac Haines, Bucks County, Tenn., & Jaeger rifle parts sets.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:37:24 PM by Birddog6 »

WJS

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »

I currently have one of Tip's "in the white" guns modeled after an early original from the Allentown, PA area. It is well made, as long as I can finish it well, it should be a fine rifle.

Dancy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I did speak with Tip and he said he no longer puts out a catalog and the best way to see his products would be at some of the events he attends. I think he said he offered something like 140+ different patterns! He did say his kits (and most kits) would probably be too advanced for an inexperienced teenager as Keith also suggested. His "in the white" rifles do sound like a good option though, said he had several already built and available now.

James

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 05:16:35 AM »
I started building guns when I was 15.  No kits back then...everything was built from scratch.  Was that first gun a real piece of art?  No, but I learned a great deal, and the second one was much better.  If your young friend has any interest at all in building guns get him a kit or a set of parts and let him learn.  That would certainly be better than having him set in front of a computer all day.  If he needs help there are always guys around willing to help young guys, and there are classes available and even scholarships available to some of the classes.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »
The only thing I've seen on tip's guns that I didn't care for is the wooden patchbox.  They are way too wide.  But you could always get one in the white and put on a patchbox yourself.  I'd agree with Jim, this is the perfect age to get this young man started.  There's several people who do a class for not much more than an in the white gun would cost.  Will the finish product be perfect?  Probably not.  Will the young man enjoy the experience?  Excellent possibility.  Who knows maybe he'll end up turning out work like some of the fine artists on this board.  Contact Troy Roop of Stonewall Creek outfitters for information on a kit building class.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
He has a catalog with some of his styles and prices. Call and ask.

He just E-mailed me and said he didn't have a catalog.

Offline smoke

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:45 AM »
Hi: Sent him an email and it was rejected.

Dancy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:52:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will forward the info. to the father and let him decide, sure would be nice to have a good rifle builder in the family!

Mr. Chambers, did your rifle building get any better since you were 15??  ;D