Author Topic: Fix a Old Leather Strap  (Read 3619 times)

msmith

Fix a Old Leather Strap
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
I have a mid 1800's shooters bag,the strap is broke.The strap is very dry and fairly fraigle.What is the best way to fix it?I thought about sewing it,but it may not be sturdy enough?Any ideas?I know not a thing about leather.Thanks

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Fix a Old Leather Strap
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:53:33 AM »
I have used a thin strip of a light weight leather as a splint with good success.
I cut the light weight stuff just as wide as the strap I wanted to repair...and actually glued
it to the back of the strap on either side of the original straps break. I glue the splint rough side down so it matches the rough side on the back of the original strap...I use a flexable, clear drying white glue made for fabrics and crafting...its also a plus if you have a light weight leather thats close in color to the original strap, though the colors can be matched up a bit after the splint has been glued on and dried....

After that, a few stitches can be sewn through the original strap and the splint behind it. Use a fine needle, and a single strand or ply of dark colored, waxed linen cord...dont try to necessairly sew the break together, but rather to attach the splint to the strap....to do that, push the point of the needle through both the strap and splint about an eight of an inch from the break, and close to the edge of the strap...(note, if the strap starts to crumble, stop, it may be too dry rotted to accept even a fine needle?) pull the thread through and whip stitch over the edge with a single stitch ( If the strap will stand it, you can push the needle back through the same hole two or even three times to double or triple up the stitch using that same single hole.) Tie off the thread, and snip it off....repeat three more times, anchoring the splint on either side of the break on both the left and right sides of the strap...then rub a dab of glue into the thread to further secure it.

Its harder to describe than do...and oh yeah, dont hang the bag by its strap even for display or it will most likely eventually break again given time.
TCA

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:09:07 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

msmith

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:05:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip.Now you present another question.You say don't hang the bag which is what I was going to do.Do you think the weight of bag could break the strap again.I was going to make a round piece of wood about 3 or more inches in diameter ,so as not kink the fraigle strap.Maybe I should support some of the weight??Thanks

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:20 AM »
Basically, I recommend that an original bag be stored and displayed flat, when displayed. And that it be kept out of direct sunlight and in a humidity controlled environment. That will help insure maximum longevity for future generations. Sorry, but I sincerely think thats generally the best thing for the bag....
but its only a recommendation.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »
Tim's recommendations are probably best, but another common "self" repair would have been to glue and rivet a bridging piece of leather using copper harness rivets.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
A very good article on leather conservation by a professional conservator - there is old leather and thne there is old DAMAGED leather and the needs of both are different....

http://www.garciaaviation.com/conserve.html
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:25:08 AM »
To display your bag on the wall you can "remove" the weight of the bag on the strap by mounting a steel strap or plate on the wall and gently placing a couple of magnets the bag. Presto, no weight on the strap. Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

msmith

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:20:27 AM »
Thanks for all the input.