Author Topic: Rum Horn  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Rum Horn
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
 Had a piece of horn and thought I would try a Rum horn. It is about 5 1/2" X 2 1/2 at the small end. Think I will stick to powder horns.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:04:30 AM by Tim Crosby »

eseabee1

Re: Rum Horn
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:19:55 PM »
well if you think its so bad you can send it to me and I will make sure it gets disposed of properly  ;D nice job I like it

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
I'm with you Tim, I made one Rum horn that I actually finsihed, and one that I started years ago and have never finsihed.  Just did not get the same enjoyment out of it.  Also, I have seen the inside of too many cow horns to want to rink out of one, and I don't want to sell one and have someone else do it.  But it was a good excercise of the skills.

Good work

Coryjoe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »
It's a really neat horn Tim.  A couple questions if I may:  Whey the two bungs?  And does the horn change the flavour of the rum?  I'm currently building one with pear wood plugs.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

wbgv

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »
Great looking rum horn !...
the 2 bungs-1 for the liquid to pour and the other to let some air in so that it pours correctly..
Yes..the horn will inpart a 'horn' taste..nasty...I coat the insides of mine witha product called 'Envirotex Lite'[craft stores]..it is used for deep covering bar tops,where coins and other objects  need to be covered..box says that it is food and alcohol safe after cureing..takes 24 or more hours to dry...I install 1 end ..give the inside a good coat..coat the other end and let dry..after about 2 days,coat the other plug on its edages and install..you should have a good seal...leave the spout plugs out for a few days[finish cureing] and use...
...don't leave alcohol in it for a long time..and leave the stoppers out when not in use...

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »
Now there's a sight to cheer me up.  Good job and I don't see what's so 'not to like'.   Sure, rum horns may not seem glorious, but there were plenty of them.   So, what was part of making this that said to you 'I'll think I'll stay with powder horns'? 
Wbgv:  you wrote 'don't leave alcohol in it for a long time'.  You mean that's a truism?  Hmmmm, better change my method.  I filled mine a couple of years ago with some cheap rum and changed every year.  Figured by the time I was actually going to use the thing I'd empty the bad stuff hoping that would 'kill' the horn taste and then I use some good stuff.   ;D  Hearty me mateys.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

seesbirds

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:26:47 AM »
Tim,

That's a nice job.  I like the moon inlay in the end, nice touch.  I've made a rum horn or two but I agree about drinking from one...no thanks...

regards,

Mark

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
It's a really neat horn Tim.  A couple questions if I may:  Whey the two bungs?  And does the horn change the flavour of the rum?  I'm currently building one with pear wood plugs.

As wbvg says one to let air in so the liquid flows better. The bases on mine are Poplar.
The horn is not lined with anything and I have not put anything in it yet. I am going to put some cheap rum in it and let it set for a while and try and season the wood and horn before I put any good stuff in it.

Tim C.   

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
Now there's a sight to cheer me up.  Good job and I don't see what's so 'not to like'.   Sure, rum horns may not seem glorious, but there were plenty of them.   So, what was part of making this that said to you 'I'll think I'll stay with powder horns'? 
Wbgv:  you wrote 'don't leave alcohol in it for a long time'.  You mean that's a truism?  Hmmmm, better change my method.  I filled mine a couple of years ago with some cheap rum and changed every year.  Figured by the time I was actually going to use the thing I'd empty the bad stuff hoping that would 'kill' the horn taste and then I use some good stuff.   ;D  Hearty me mateys.
Gary

Gary, nice to see your back. Hope things are going well.
  Maybe it was because it was my first attempt but powder horns just seem to flow better for me. I have another good sized piece of horn and may try another...a banded one this time.

Tim

brokenflint

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
I like it Tim, but I can understand doing something once then not wanting to do it again!

Broke