Author Topic: 20ga. pederasoli double  (Read 3479 times)

jim m

20ga. pederasoli double
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »
the 20ga double has short 24" barrels,  and was wondering if 3f might work better because of barrel length. I've experienced leading problems with longer barrels using 3f so your experiences welcome

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 20ga. pederasoli double
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
The only way to learn the answer to your question is to try both FFg and FFFg, shooting at a sheet of paper with a circle drawn on it, and find out how it patterns.  Every time you change a single element of the load, the pattern with get better, or worse.  It takes lots of time and patience, but is enjoyable work.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
I expect to have leading problems on any muzzleloading shotgun just as we all did before the plastic wads came along for modern shotgun shells.  Get some of the old Hoppes cleaner which works on the leading.  If you use some harder shot it might help that a little.  Doubt the leading relates to powder granulation.  Most of the blackpowder shotgun shooters whom I know use 3F even in the 12ga because it burns cleaner and produces better patterns, Using it in your short 20ga isn't going to be a problem. 

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
I'm currently using 3f in my Brown Bess (11 gauge). Best patterns are 80 grains, 1 1/4 oz shot, lubed fiber base wad and nicked overshot card. No improvement with 2f, and since I'm using 3f for prime, it lets me use one horn.  In my many years with a 12 ga Navy Arms double, I coincidentally got the best results with the same powder and shot charge, though different wad and card sizes, of course. 

I'd try both, because I know folks that swear by 2f in their 20s.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
One old trick to remove leading is to wrap the strands of a Brillo pad around a bore brush and swab with that.  I have seen many shooters use 3f in 20 bores even with turkey loads.  Mostly shotguns run a little lower on pressures than rifles anyway.  A very general rule of thumb (admittedly there are exceptions) is that higher pressure will spread a pattern more than lower pressures.  You may get a little tighter or more center concentrated pattern with 2f.   Most generally a 24 inch barrel 20 bore is used up close for smaller birds and game.  I would shoot at a pattern sheet at about 25 yards or so and see how even my pattern is.  If there are no major holes or it does not donut it will work.  Depending on the birds, but I have preferred using larger shot in a ml as they do not have the MV.  For instance 6's and 5's on ruffed grouse.  Remember that the original load for a 20 bore cartridge was 5/8 ounce.  They start losing something for wing shooting if you overload them.  7/8 to one ounce is still fine.  In a modern 20 bore cartridge, 7/8 ounce loads can be tailored more readily than 1 ounce. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
One old trick to remove leading is to wrap the strands of a Brillo pad around a bore brush and swab with that.  I have seen many shooters use 3f in 20 bores even with turkey loads.  Mostly shotguns run a little lower on pressures than rifles anyway.  A very general rule of thumb (admittedly there are exceptions) is that higher pressure will spread a pattern more than lower pressures.  You may get a little tighter or more center concentrated pattern with 2f.   Most generally a 24 inch barrel 20 bore is used up close for smaller birds and game.  I would shoot at a pattern sheet at about 25 yards or so and see how even my pattern is.  If there are no major holes or it does not donut it will work.  Depending on the birds, but I have preferred using larger shot in a ml as they do not have the MV.  For instance 6's and 5's on ruffed grouse.  Remember that the original load for a 20 bore cartridge was 5/8 ounce.  They start losing something for wing shooting if you overload them.  7/8 to one ounce is still fine.  In a modern 20 bore cartridge, 7/8 ounce loads can be tailored more readily than 1 ounce. 

DP

The curled copper wire "Curly Kate" dish and pot scrubbers work exceptionally well for removing leading. The won't hurt the bore. Cut, then pull out 1 to 3 strands and wrapp them around an undersized bronze brush - in an out a few times with something like WD40 or whatever and the leading's gone. It woprks even beter than steel wool, which also works but the wool leaves broken pieces of steel wire behind.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:02 AM »
Brillo may be steel wool?  Anyway I meant the strands of copper used in pot scrubbers.  Trick is so old it has hair on it.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:12:56 PM »
Figured that's what you meant, DP - the brillo pads are steel wool, with a fairly powerful greenish blue soap impregnated in them - don't think I'd want that in my barrels - not sure what chemicals it might have.