Author Topic: G. F. Fainot--Outside the box  (Read 5991 times)

jwh1947

G. F. Fainot--Outside the box
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
Recent commentary regarding gunbuilding schools, their defining characteristics, and the rigor some of us occasionally associate with them, brought to mind the work of George Frederick Fainot.  You can find color shots of two nice Fainot attributions in my book and George has photos of them, too.   Don owned three beauties and I'd wager to say that we are two of the few people who anytime recently had three Fainots out on the table at the same time.  

Fainot was born in 1728 in Seloncourt, a small town in eastern France near the Swiss border.  According to the Moravian Burial Book he immigrated to Canada in 1752 and then traveled to New York, where he resided from 1765 to 1770.  He moved then to Lancaster, PA, and from the mid-1770's through at least 1783 he ran a gun shop on North Queen Street.

In 1779, Fainot was one of 16 regional gunsmiths to be paid by the Continental Congress for work.  William Henry, Sr., delivered 182 pounds, 12 shillings, 6 pence to him for services rendered from March to September.  I believe his shop was relatively small and that he did much of the work himself.  He also supplied arms after the war and is listed in the papers of Gen. Edward Hand for the delivery of 30 rifles in 1794.  I suspect that he moved locations later in his career.

Fainot's gunbuilding style is unique, not only from the perspective of other Lancaster builders, but from a more global view of Kentucky rifles in general. He often used fowler-type trigger guards, and his side plates have a distinct European style.  The hallmark of a Fainot gun is the two-piece brass patch box with the lid hinged on the bottom of a single plate that completely surounds it. The patch box finials range from the distinctly French fleur-de-lis to a five-petaled floral motif. While there are some similarities to his associates in basic architecture, it is evident that the maker chose to retain the artistic influence gained from past experiences.  In short, I know of no other Lancaster gunsmith who put out work that could be confused with Fainot's products. His guns are regularly of the semi-military style, often with octagon-to-round barrels, smoothbore, with little glitter, but the work is neat.

Little more is known about Fainot, other than that he was a respectable, married tradesman and government contractor. He died in 1817. The small number of tools in his estate inventory suggests that he retired some time before his death.  Fainot's individuality offers pleasing variety to the study of Lancaster arms, and underscores the fact that creative expression was not necessarily channeled by what others in the "school" were doing. Serious students of other schools may feel it appropriate to add to this stream.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:43:03 AM by jwh1947 »

Offline Majorjoel

Re: G. F. Fainot--Outside the box
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
Interesting subject Wayne. I find these few "rebels" working within our present schools of study, are there to keep us on our toes. Just when you think you have learned enough to be comfortable, a Fainot comes around and puts more questions than answers to the plate. Take a look at the Johannes Neff rifle from the new book, "Berks County Longrifles & Gunmakers" by Pat Hornberger. This piece really shows a man working outside the "BOX" in the Berks Co. locale.  The word UNIQUE is an understatement when trying to describe this rifle.  When I run across a specimen for the first time I like to inspect everything but the barrel signature. Saving that for last. I make a game out of trying to put a name on it before one is known.  With these "rebel" rifles, I would most generally throw them outside of the state of Pennsylvania. It is not easy to put the square pegs into the round holes!
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
Just an after-thought. We often ask this question. Why on earth did this maker fail to sign this fine piece? The question we should be asking is.......Why DID this guy sign his rifle? The answer is to confuse the heck out of future generations of antique historians and obsessed gun collectors! ;D
Joel Hall

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
While we're talking about Fainot, I have to mention the patch box RCA # 47. Is it generally accepted today by " experts " that this was made by Fainot given the engraving detail in the attributed RCA # 82 ? I know I read that somewhere. I love the design of the patch box and would be interested in what others think.

brokenflint

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
Went into ALR virtual library, no Fainot - any other pics besides RCA#82?  Without out pics I'm lost, well even with pics I'm lost!!  LOL

Broke

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
A link to this forum has been added to the "Library."

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
A fascinating subject but, sorry, I'm lost.  Usually, I can figure out the acronyms but RCA #82? RCA #47?

A newbie question, I know.......

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:09 PM »
Just figured it out.....Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, right?

Mike R

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »
A fascinating subject but, sorry, I'm lost.  Usually, I can figure out the acronyms but RCA #82? RCA #47?

A newbie question, I know.......

these refer to the standard reference, Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America [2 vols]--the # refer to numbered rifle examples therein..

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  So much to learn.......

jwh1947

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:33:45 AM »
Regarding the Neff gun, it's been around for a while.  I think one of our associates from down that way actually found it decades ago.  Much has been said about it and that is going to happen when your gun is the only one by that maker known to exist. Personally, I think the gun is really cool because I am a sucker for things that exude gaudy Dutch.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 03:49:57 AM »
An interesting thing about some of Fainot's engraving - and in particular the box in RCA whether Fainot or no - is the comparison with the engraving on the Leyendecher box lid.  I think the engraving on the RCA box is a bit finer, but the similarities are somewhat eerie.  It's fun (a LOT of fun) to speculate about a lot of this but I'll bet if we could actually get the whole story somehow via time travel, we'd be flabbergasted at how wrong many of our assumptions are.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

jwh1947

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »
Agreed.

scooter

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:45 AM »
The information about Fainot's travels before coming to Lancaaster are in MRS F's obituary. When I was doing the Lancaster Co gunsmiths book I located only the 1 Kindig gun made by Fainot. Not sure what anyone thinks should be there but it's a great deal more than on most gunsmiths. Even have the name of boat he came over on.