Author Topic: longrifle that has been in the family  (Read 8327 times)

tclawson

longrifle that has been in the family
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:23:55 AM »
I was asked to post this on this site also, so here it goes.  This rifle has been in my family at least since the late 1800's.  I've learned a few things about it and now i'm going try you guys.  I'm definitely getting it restored professionally, but any advice would be great from anyone.  especially the maker N. CLARK.  Here's the pics.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:29:56 AM by Klaw »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: longrifle that has been in the family
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
Its a fine gun, worthy of professional restoration.

tclawson

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
do you think its worth restoring to firing capabilities?  I don't know if that is wise or not.  I'm restoring it for sure to keep it from rusting away either way.

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:34 AM »
In to Frank Sellers book AMERICAN GUNSMITHS, there are two gunsmiths listed as N CLARK.  One is unlocated, southern full stock.  The other is Nelson Clark (1801 - 1859), Miamisburg Ohio, 1825 - 1859.  Hope this helps.  Nice rifle.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

jwh1947

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:13:45 AM »
What do you wish to restore, other than the addition of a finished ramrod and perhaps some finish work back of the wrist?  You can be coached to do all that yourself, right here by the guys on the forum.  If that is an old repair on top by the tang, perhaps you don't want to fiddle with it.  Sometimes less is more.  JWH
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:16:26 AM by jwh1947 »

tclawson

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:00:41 AM »
The rifle hasn't been fired in at least 70 years and probably more.  I know very little about muzzleloaders and I don't want to risk damaging a piece of American history.  I have the name Chuck Dixon in Kempton Pa.  I was thinking of giving him a call since I live in Pa. and seeing if he can bring it back to life.  Its in desperate need of some restoration.  Its been rusting away beside my gun cabinet for about 9 years now, and I know my father hadn't done anything with it for the many years he had it in his possession.  There are other problems with it as well.  The forearm is separating from the barrel at the end. Numerous rust imperfections that are going to need to be dealt with.  The Golcher lock is having trouble with rust.  Although I have pretty good modern firearms upkeep experience (thanks to Dad) I feel as if someone who has extensive experience in repair or restoration of antique muzzleloaders is needed here. I appreciate the help immensely on getting it restored though.  I would really like to find out which N. Clark made this rifle.  Are there any other people that have an N. Clark rifle?  I'm sure his signature is the same on those.  I've sent e-mails to Miamisburg historical society and I'm waiting for replies there.  anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

AeroE

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:35:11 AM »
Take it to Dixon and then listen to what he tells you.

The gun needs very little work from what is visible in the photos.  The worst thing I see is the verdigris in the patch box.  The forearm is probably missing a pin.

Less really is more.

The gun may be okay to shoot.  But consider this; while you're visiting Dixon's shop, maybe you should buy a modern rifle to try, maybe even a flint lock.  That way the antique rifle remains a great heirloom with no new wear and tear.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »
where in Pa. are you?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
Oil the metal, wax the wood and put a pin where the one in the forestock is missing. Presto change-o your restoration is complete. The gun looks already to be in a fine state of preservation.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
This is addressed to the moderators of the Forum.    Right here is a good example of why we should require more information on one's profile.   If we could click on Klaw's profile and see where he lives, you could more easily help the guy.  I would like for someone to explain why everyone is so secretive about his name, address, etc......I don't understand?..............Don

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »
If we could click on Klaw's profile and see where he lives, you could more easily help the guy.  I would like for someone to explain why everyone is so secretive about his name, address, etc......I don't understand?..............Don

Don,
You really answered your own question, its too easy for the wrong type people to associate where you live with antique guns! Some folks have a real aversion to having their real name, address etc on the "World Wide Web".

I have an aversion to making it mandatory for them to do so in order to be a member. I do encourage everyone to at least give their town/city and their real first name.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline albert

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »
how common is the design of the brass sideplate on this rifle,I have an original that I'm restoring for a client that has been in his family since the mid 1800's,it is a halfstock,percussion.
j albert miles

tclawson

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »
Albert, does that cutomers gun have the same side plate as mine?  Does it Have an N. Clark signature?

BTW the name is Terry and I live up by Dubois Pa.  Sorry, but I don't divulge that much about myself on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:12:24 AM by Klaw »

Offline albert

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
The sideplate,and lock are missing from this rifle,but it looks like the one that you have would fit into the mortice. There is a name stamped on the bbl.,but the only letter I can make out is N. ........   If possible,  could you send me a closeup pix of the lock,and the sideplate?
j albert miles

tclawson

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
Here's the pic's requested.  Would the owner mind if you upload some pics of their rifle?

Also that repair was done probably by my Uncle on the (do I have my terms right) flash plate.  Don't know if he ever fired this gun.
When he died, his wife (my Aunt) sold everything in an auction.  This gun and one other gun in my possession was bought by my father back in the late 70's to keep in the family.  He was not happy that day.  He paid $750.00.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:26:56 AM by Klaw »

Offline albert

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:45:20 AM »
Terry,thanks for the picture of the sideplate,that you sent,it looks like an almost perfect match for the rifle that I am working on,I will try to get you some pix. this weekend
j albert miles

altankhan

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:29 AM »
The distinctive checkpiece on the gun seems to be a style that was used by several makers in SW Ohio -- I once had an unsigned gun with very similar features to the one pictured that came out of Beavercreek, Ohio. 

Levy

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
I have a percussion rifle that uses the same sideplate and it has a 'T. Davidson, Cinncinattii, Ohio lock on it.  It is .40 cal. and the barrel is 1 1/16 " in diameter.  The barrel has been shortened.  My rifle appears to be very similar to the Posegate rifles that were written up in November 2007 issue of Muzzle Blasts.

James Levy

tclawson

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 01:26:02 AM »
Good news!  I have been in contact with a gentleman in Miamisburg Oh, who is a volunteer for their historical society.  He has sent me some very interesting info on Nelson Clark.  I thought I would share it with everyone, since the rubbing off of the gun that is on loan to their museum is in my opinion identical to one in my possession.  I am without a doubt not a professional but, I am 99 percent sure this rifle was made by him.  The gentleman from Ohio also sent me a bio on Nelson Clark from The History of Montgomery Co. written and published in 1882 by the Beers & Company.  I wont get into much detail, but he started his trade in 1825 in Miamisburg Oh. and married in 1828 and had two daughters.  He also lived here until his death in 1859.  He was 58 years old.  He was a natural botanist, practical chemist, an inventor, a musician, and a fair German scholar.  He learned his trade in Lebanon, Warren County OH. at around the age of twenty-one.  The entire weapon he made out of rough iron and steel, The N. Clark rifle an arm familiarly known throughout the west.  There's also a picture of his house sent with the package that still stands today.  There is an addition on the left side of his house that is believed to be his gunshop.  I really need to get this gun cleaned up and it just may make it back to Miamisburg.  I think that would have made dad very happy.  Unless I feel a hard slap tonight in the middle of the night.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 02:18:49 AM »
That's certainly good news, and now you know a lot more about the gun than you did before!

I know you're intent on getting her cleaned up/restored, but please go easy there.
As a family gun it has some history to you, and likely a good bit of the slight damage and repairs was done by your ancestors while using it.
Stopping any active rust, cleaning up the verdigris in the patchbox and around the hammer nose/nipple area and replacing the missing barrel pin should be done, but other than that I agree with the others, just some oil and wax is all that's needed.
Keep the new information with the gun and take care of it while you're the caretaker, then someday pass it on to another family member as the most important value in that rifle is your family history with it!

John
John Robbins