Author Topic: Martin Shell Sr. or Jr. Longrifles ??  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Martin Shell Sr. or Jr. Longrifles ??
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
Digging through all the books in my gun library I can find only 2 rifles pictured by one of these makers. There is nothing to distinguish either Martin Sr or Jr.  Both are black and white with no details of the upper and lower angles. With the recent discovery (to me) that there were two men of the same name,  my curiosity has peaked with questions. Are there known rifles exhisting today made by both father and son?  Anyone with the least bit of information or pictures, please feel free to contact me here on forum or privately.  Thank you......Joel
Joel Hall

jwh1947

Re: Martin Shell Sr. or Jr. Longrifles ??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
If so, it would be news to me.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »
I've assumed that the two M Shell rifles included in Shumway's Longrifle Articles, Vol 1 (one of which is pictured again in his Pennsylvania Longrifles of Note) were made by Martin Jr.  However, we all know the risk of such assumptions...

In researching the Parthemore genealogy (Martin Jr.'s wife, Catherine Parthemore), there is mention that Martin Sr. was a gunsmith, in addition to Martin Jr.  The Military Milestones of Old Paxton Township, 1715-1946 includes both Martin Sr and Martin Jr as "rifle makers".

However, as far as identifying rifles by both Martin Sr and Jr.....boy, that would be great!

Bill

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
Is the 1946 given a correct date ?
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Is the 1946 given a correct date ?

Yes, that is when the little booklet, The Military Milestones of Old Paxton Township 1715-1946, was published, at the end of WWII.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:15:55 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
Kindig's Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle has three rifles in the chapter on Martin Shell.  #'s 116 & 117 are are signed "M Shell" and share many characteristics -- they're clearly made by the same gunsmith.  #118 is unsigned and, while similar, has notable differences when compared to 116 & 117.  For example, 118's comb line is very different from the straight combs of 116 & 117.  And while 118's engraving pattern is echoed in 116 & 117, it is much bolder and deeper than the lighter touch engraving of 116 & 117.  118 is also, as Kindig notes, a much earlier rifle.

I've often wondered if 116 & 117 are the work of Martin Shell Jr. while 118 is that of Martin Shell Sr. I don't believe the distinction between Martin Shell Sr. & Jr. was known when Kindig's book was published.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Bill