Author Topic: Got my project for 2011 rolling.  (Read 3804 times)

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Got my project for 2011 rolling.
« on: November 22, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Going to build four long barreled target pistols, with set triggers, iron furniture and a cast pewter nosecaps. Three of the guys at my shooting club wanted in on the project. Their paying for the parts for my gun and I get to practice building theirs ;D ;D.

Sent a snail-mail order to Ed Rayle for four pistol barrels 15" long, caliber 0.40, twist 1:18". Octagonal swamped. Breech 0.8125", tapers to 0.625"five inches from the muzzle, and flares out to 0.7500" at the muzzle.

Sent a snail-mail order to Freddie Harrison with the stock pattern and ordered 4 stock blanks, stump cut curly maple.

Ordered four small siler flintlocks from Chambers.

David Keck will inlet the barrels and do rr channel.

Now comes the hard part! Waiting for the parts package.
Hopefully, we'll get them before Xmas 2010.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:07:15 PM by Rolfkt »

Daryl

Re: Got my project for 2011 rolling.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
Good luck on the project.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »
I am happy for you, Rofkt. I like your idea of practicing on someone else's guns!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:11:07 AM »
I never got to see the finished version of the pistol you were working on before.  Did I miss it??

Coryjoe

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »
Nope Coryjoe, I'm still working on my first pistol project. It's my first attempt at gun building and it's been alot of trial and error. The pistol is my own generic version of a kentucky pistol. Aside for the lock and barrel, everything is made from scratch.

The pistol I think you are referring to is my fifth practice attempt. One of the guys at my shooting club, has  bought this gun. That's why I'm going to finish it completely. It's almost done. Just got the carving, muzzle cap and maybe some wire inlay left to do.

I have started on the "real"pistols. It's going to be a pair of pistols, left and right hand, mirror images. I've made two sets of sterling silver furniture and two triggers/triggerplates and started to inlet the barrels.

It will take about a year to get the parts for the target pistols.  I've got ample time to finish my first project.

Best regards
Rolfkt
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:52:57 PM by Rolfkt »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »
Rolfkt,

Sounds like a pretty nice package you've got planned.  I'm guessing there'll  be 3 happy flintlock shooters at your club when you get done.

Good luck,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell