Author Topic: Another swivel  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Another swivel
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:26:50 AM »
Stained with AF. One coat of 50-50 boiled oil and Grumbachers painters medium III with about 25% aged turp. Used this stuff for a seal since it dries a little harder and the wood has some strength issues in a place or two where its carved.
Its still in the final assembly stage.
Have fire restrictions in place and don't think I am allowed to shoot outdoors unless it rains.
The white flecks on the wrist are from dry firing with a maple "flint'.
Its not an exact copy of anything. Though I borrowed a lot from the Antes.
The action is 2" deep at the breeches of the barrels. Barrels are 50 cal about 15/16 at the breech and taper to 3/4, 40" long with the breeches. I make file some swamp into them for weight reduction. Not sure yet.
 Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Another swivel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:02:48 AM »
Dan...

Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful swivel gun!  The overall craftsmanship looks excellent, nice flowing lines and very nice carving.  I also really like the finish you've obtained on the stock.  Lots of nice metal surfaces that are screaming for some engraving...  Really nice work and thanks again for posting.
Ed Wenger

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:36:33 AM »
Very nice -crisp along with pleasing lines. Something tells me there is going to be a glut of swivel breach rifle guns out there in the near future ---- :D :D ;) How much does she weigh??
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:02:34 AM »
Dan, excellent workmanship.  Tell me about the action - yours or ?  I would also like to know the weight.  I'd say 12 pounds - about perfect!

Lovely carving well laid out and cut, and nicely and crisply finished up.  I appreciate your having posted these pics...more for my files.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:24:08 AM »
dan,looks fantastic.got to see quite a few at the show today,mark wheland had a beautiful swivel there today as did mr.price..........i am gonna start gearing up to build me one...

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 07:06:36 AM »
I bought the barrels about 15 years ago and built the action about that time. By the time the action was done I was pretty burnt out and barely got started on the stock.
It weighs something over 12 pounds but I am sure less than 13. Has a big buttplate 2" by about 4 3/4 or so.
It has a few things that need slight tune up. The TG looked a lot better before I did the stock but I had to rebend the trigger bar to get the lines right this changed the angles.
It uses 2 separate side panels held together with the screws that hold the rod pipes, the nosecap and the frizzen plates.
The barrels have patent breeches the are turned round and fit tight into holes in the plate and then screws enter from the back to hold them. This is probably not the best from the disassembly standpoint but thats how I did it. The locking pins are similar is layout to Rsteffy's but different. Lock is made from a combination of shop made stuff and some modified Siler parts. Today I would do it differently.
Stock is around 14" pull with 3 1/2" drop at the heel from the top flat.
Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 07:15:43 AM »
dan,looks fantastic.got to see quite a few at the show today,mark wheland had a beautiful swivel there today as did mr.price..........i am gonna start gearing up to build me one...

They are really neat when they are done. I did this one just to prove I could.
If I do another one it will be a small caliber  N. Hawk most likely. I am intrigued with the brass forend panels.

Dan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
...and I think your taste in patch boxes is excellent.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.