American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:20:54 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Gun Building
| | |-+  Dark stain for walnut stock
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark stain for walnut stock  (Read 3735 times)
steg49

« on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

Some time ago I made a stan out of vinegar and steel wool and if I remember correctly it made walnut turn nearly black, but it been long enough that I don't remember the exact procedures, is it just plain white vinegar with steel wool then let it sit for a day or two and it ready? or do I need to add something more? steg49
Scott Semmel

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

Aqua fortes turns walnut black too. I'm not experienced with vinegar stain but if you search for vinegar you will find a bunch of threads descibing recipes results etc.
bigsky
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

You can also turn walnut black (ebonizing) by applying a lye wash like you would apply to cherry.  Be sure to neutralize with vinegar.
Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »

I prefere alkernite root mixed with boiled linseed oil ,this brings out the pattern in walnut and darkens the stock ,it will need several applications.
Feltwad
Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »

OK , I'll bite, whats alkernite root, where do you get it, and whats the proportion ratio to mix with the oil?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Acer Saccharum
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »

I have had some experience with the vinegar and iron stains. The acetic acid functions the same as the nitric in aqua fortis.

Wash your steel wool out in hot water and detergent first!  It's got oil in it from manufacture.

Give a few days to brew, and test every so often. Use it once it works to your liking.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://tcurran.com/
Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »

Beaverman surprised  you have never heard of Alkinite root  for oiling and staining a walnut stock.Here in the UK I purchase mine from  a company that sell vegetable dyes for dying cloth and wool For mixing take two fl oz of boiled linseed and mix one teaspoon of alkinite root  the oil will change to a dark red colour  after it has stood for a few days  place two or three drops on the stock and rub it well in leave to stand for a day then repeat until the required depth of colour is  reached. Finish with  a oil finish not forgetting that a good oil finish takes months to achieve.
Feltwad
Joe S

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »

I have tried aqua fortis on one piece of walnut.  It turned the walnut a very unattractive gray color.  I stained a walnut stock with an extract of black walnut hulls, and got a very nice, very dark brown.  The extract is made by simmering walnut husks (not the shells) for about 24 hours in water.

steg49

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »

Thanks for the imput so far, I realy like the walnut husk color on your stock Joe (very nice) and thanks to Tom, I wouldn't have thought to wash the steel wool first.  If I can find the black walnuts I'll try both methods on a trial piece to see the difference.  steg49
Joe S

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

If you can’t find any black walnuts, let me know and I’ll send you some. 
Acer Saccharum
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »

Brown finger!

That's what you get INSTANTLY when playing around with walnut hulls. Also makes an olde timey dye for cloth.

Acer Saccharum
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »

Oh, I used Dragon's Blood to give walnut a red cast. Mix with shellac to seal the walnut, it gives a fantastic warm glow to the wood. Then oil finish over top.

Joe S

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:35 PM »

I got a recipe for making walnut hull extract off the net.  The recipe warned “there is no known way to remove the stain from human skin”.  Being a curious sort, I ran the experiment myself, and I concur, there is no known way to remove the brown stuff from your fingers.  It wears off.  Eventually.
LynnC

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »

I accidently spilled some BC gun bluing solution on a bare walnut stock - Very Black!  Fortunatly I had much more wood removal cause it wasn't commin off!

Are You Ready to Defend Your Rights Yet???
frogwalking

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »

Doesn't Black Powder Barbie sell a black filler for walnut? How does it change the color of unstained walnut?  That was what I have been thinking of using on my one of these days to build fowler.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length