Author Topic: Christoph Vogler  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Christoph Vogler
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »
Is anyone familar withthe gunmaker Christoph Vogler from Salem North Carolina.  He was one of the Moravian builders in the second half of the 18th century.  I would like to see some images of his work.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

Coryjoe

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Christoph Vogler
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:52 AM »
Old Salem have some Vogler pieces in their collections including signed pieces of Christoph.  they have very good photos available which you can purchase via copies or on CD.  As of 2007, Jennifer Bean Bower was an associate curator of photographic collections and you can arrange copies/CDs through her.  Her email was jbean "at" oldsalem.org (don't want to spam her so I'm spelling it out).
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:02 AM »
The book Longrifles of North Carolina by John Bivins would be the first source I'd turn to. I believe it has been reprinted by George Shumway after several years of being really expensive and hard to find.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

coutios

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »
Shumway reprinted a second edition in 2006 so it's around. There are around 20 pages of the "Vogler" familys work shown. Should help you with what you need.

Regards
Dave

dannybb55

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
The NC History Museum has a great selection on display of local long rifles. You may get lucky there too, The cabinet is very shhallow and you can get up really close.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
Coryjoe,
Check out the ALR Museum.  There are some images there.  C. Michael Briggs has put together some really good information on N.C. schools of gunbuilding.  This page has some C. Vogler information and images, there may be others in Mr. Briggs' other posts: 
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7318.0