Author Topic: pics of cla show  (Read 17023 times)

lew wetzel

pics of cla show
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:16:07 AM »
ok here are some pics from today at the cla show.really enjoyed meeting don getz,gary braumfeld,dave price,tim boone,kyflinter,dennis glassener,reaves goerhring,frank house,larry plesher and so many other people..was a great time...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:48:20 AM by lew wetzel »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: pics of cla show
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »
Here's another view of Don and his Barn Gun....

And check out this lock on a cased rifle displayed at the CLA....  All the "internals" are on the outside of the lock plate!

Time to get some rest...  my legs are killing me...  but you know I HAVE to go again tomorrow!

-Ron

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:21:13 PM by Kingsburyarms »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline RobertS

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, wish I could be there, but this may be the next best thing for now.  Maybe next year, but for now, the pictures are a real treat.

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
Here are a few more pix of the CLA show for those who could not attend:

Two rifles by Bill Shipman

a gorgeous hawk by Wayne Watson

a display of three rifle styles. The top two by Fred Riley and the bottom by Bob Harn

some rifles by David Price

rifles by Larry Gardner

KRA display. From top to bottom: Jacob Young, Daniel Bryan, James Teaff, Samuel Stout

Greatly appreciated the opportunity to meet so many ALR members.
Enjoy
Paul
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:21:29 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline rallen

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
Spectacular. Now I'm really disappointed I talked myself out of it this year. Maybe they will have plenty of originals in future years. Thanks for the pics.
Ryan

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:56:38 PM »
I dunno. Looks like a lot of these guys are over 30....
 ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:13:01 PM »
I dunno. Looks like a lot of these guys are over 30....

And most of them don't miss many meals either.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:37:45 AM »
Here's a few more pictures from the CLA.  I apologize for the shakey ones...  Personally, I don't like being "flashed", so I didn't use it....  I also apologize to any ALR members if I missed getting your table picture...  Next year, stop me!

Entering the show....

60 feet of original powder horns.  I held a horn from 1757 in my hands today... WOW!

Antique Room #1.....  Sorry for the width, this was an attempt at a panarama....

Antique Room #2

Jim Kibler....

David Price....

Ron Scott, Tim Boone and Don Reimer...

Jim Chambers and daughter Barbie....

The Bicentential Rifle display put together by the Chambers'....

Don Getz....

Allen Martin's table....

Display of works by the House family....

Jack Haugh's table....

Charlie Wallingford....

Wick Ellerbe....

Tim Albert's table (sorry I missed ya Tim)....

What a GREAT weekend!  I met and talked with so many other ALR members....  I'm sorry I didn't get all your pictures....  See ya next year!

-Ron
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:22:02 PM by Kingsburyarms »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »
Thanks for posting these pictures.  For those of us that may never have the opportunity to go, it makes a big difference.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:32:35 AM »
Jack Haugh's rifle was auctioned off for $20,000!!  pretty good fund raiser. I missed the final on Ian's rifle but it was up there in the rare arir as well!!

This show was overwhelming  ....so many guns and so little time.  It was fantastic to get to see and meet more ALR members as well as many builders I have heard about but had never gotten to meet.  The work is so good!! 

I'll have a few picture to put on the board when I get home and can upload them from my camera.

I was greatly encouraged to meet collectors and builders from GA.  We are even cooking up a get together up in the N GA mtns!!!

Turns out a gentleman collector who lives right near me in East Cobb County has the principle collection of Wiley Higgens GA guns.  The Gamecock and the Whale rifles included!! 

It has been a blast!!  Oh And Getz really did bring a barn gun!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
I didn't make it the other day.  Forgot about it and woke up at 9:30 Saturday.   I wouldn't get there till well after 12:00 (1:00 in Lexington), and figured that by that time, everyone would be packed up and gone home.  I hate "weekend events" that aren't actually on the weekend.  I can't go anywhere on thursday or friday.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline acorn20

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the pictures fellows...talk about eye candy.  Guess I'll have to schedule next year's vacation around this show.
Dan Akers

lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
sure am glad i wasnt the only one with a digital camera there.all the pics are great...i wish i would have taken more,but i was so awe struck that i was stuck on stupid and kept forgetting i had it with me..

Offline Knob Mountain

• Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
 Tim,

I'm glad your picture with Dennis Glazner and myself captured my best side!!!!!

It certainly was a great show and I had the chance to meet and talk to so many wonderful people.  Just wished I had the chance to see it all.

Dave Keck  Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Berwick, PA

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. I needed a picture fix since I did not go to the show.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 03:32:35 AM »
Thanks SO much to those of you who took these pictures and posted them for us to see.  What a wonderful treat it is for those of us who cannot make it there to share at least some of what was to be seen.  Fantastic stuff gentlemen!  Just wonderful!  Thank you, thank you!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:48:53 AM »
The show was freakin' huge. Just when you think you've seen everything you find another room. Hard to capture in pictures.

A note. There was an American Idol concert that night, and the teenage girls were gathering just as we were leaving the show. Just as I was about to start the engine for the long drive home, the bus with the Idol kids went by. I was parked out front. A few minutes later, a great scream went up from the area of the loading docks I assume.
I thought about running over and getting Kristy Lee Cook's autograph but figured the legs would never make it in time.

Steve Lindsay

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »
This was my first time at the CLA show and I just joined the forum.  What a great group.  Meeting everyone and admiring their work at the show was super.  I was set up at a table along with Paul Hamler demo-ing the PalmControl AirGraver tools.  Here are pictures from my son's camera.  They were also posted a few days ago on the engraving forum (Link) in a thread about the CLA show. 

Before the show started.  This is one of Paul Hamler and Bryce Lindsay.

Paul's wife Gloria and Bryce

Roger Bleile engraving

John Schippers

This young boy engraved a lot with the tools in metal and wood.  He got along great with them and has some good talent for engraving.

The tools work for metal or wood.   Here are some demo cuts in wood.

Roger brought a buckel along.  I think he said it was the first piece he cut after receiving his PalmControl.  :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:22:51 PM by Kingsburyarms »

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
i came by your booth and thought it was great,what an awesome little tool.such an easy way for the geginner to get his feet wet.

Steve Lindsay

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
i came by your booth and thought it was great,what an awesome little tool.such an easy way for the geginner to get his feet wet.

Thanks Lew! :)   There is six week posting contest currently going on. The prize is a $1000 AirGraver handpiece.  Here is a link to the thread about the contest.
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2048 (Link) 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Steve and Paul's tables were always packed, just as the photos show.  Talk about a couple of friendly and helpful guys!! The opportunity to see the Lyndsay Palm graver in action and to try it out both on metal and with micro chisels on wood was a blast.   

Paul's miniature tools and plans to produce miniature flintlocks were also amazing.  A block plane about 1/2 inch long that actually works!! and slices off paper thin strips of wood six inches long!!  Precision tools for Gnomes!!

Welcome to the ALR Steve. As you saw its a great bunch of guys and I am sure you will enloy it and be a great help to many as well.

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
For anyone out there who hates or dreads to sharpen gravers,  you need to check out Steve's sharpening system.  His patented parallel point works great and the sharpening fixtures are reasonably priced and nearly fool proof.
They are also adaptable to both bench stones or a power hone.  I bought the whole bundle at the CLA show but you can pick and choose if you want.
I've already sharpened two points and used them in hand chisels.  They get a big thumbs-up as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.engravingschool.com/private/Lindsay%20Sharpener.htm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:25:40 PM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »
I bought the sharpening system as well. It is quite impressive and much easier to use than other manual tools for holding gravers when sharpening!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Steve!

And for those of you that might not know, Steve is without a doubt one of the best engravers in the entire Universe!
His web-site is packed with great engraving information, and his video tutorials are nothing short of amazing!

John
John Robbins

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »

Here are some more images from the show.

photobucket.com/albums/c271/Flintriflesmith/CLA%202008/

Gary

dead link dropped 8/25/08
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:52:39 PM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com