Author Topic: Fun guns  (Read 8922 times)

northmn

Fun guns
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
Due to the fact that I enjoy building again I am acquiring parts for another rifle I will likely build in a couple of years.  While thinking about it when I was a work, which at times permits daydreaming, I realized that I really have enough deer rifles when I consider what is in process as well as what is owned.  The 25 has been fun to shoot and offers more opportunity at a low cost.  Probably will get a 32 as I might as well have as many small game guns as deer rifles.  Funny how one thinks deer when he thinks rifles.  I not only have grey squirrels to eat, but pine or red squirrels as some call them that get into the house.  Shot a grouse in the head while deer hunting.  A few coyotes around although the 32 might be a little light.  Just plain shooting is fun to.  Have a 32 mold anyway.

DP

Mike R

Re: Fun guns
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
.32s are fun and great small game rifles!  The .310 ball weighs ~ same as a .22LR slug and can be driven accurately with .22LR or .22Mag velocities depending on load.  I have been impressed over many years of hunting at how efficient the lowly .22 is at taking small to medium [say 50 lbs] game when the bullet is well placed--the .32 should do equally well.  My little .32 Tenn rifle was made 'scaled down' to fit the caliber and my small stature by a buddy gunmaker who always joked that a regular size longrifle looked too long for me--I admit to having to tilt the barrels of some to load...but my little .32 shoots good, cheaply and is fun!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »
I really like the .32 Tenn. rifle I bought from Jim (oops) Chambers at Dixon's last July. It's a fun gun for the trail and I've used it there a number of times.  the ball, at 42gr. for .311's, are a bit light for some of our gongs, but hits are generally clearly heard.  Carrying binocs so someone can spot visually helps on 'heavy' targets at longer ranges. I've managed allthe long target with it so far and use 35gr. for all ranges as that's the 'accuraacy' load for my rifle.  to date, I've managed a number of 1" groups at 50 yards with it and any less powder, or more for that matter, expands groups to 2".  35gr. is IT - in this rifle.  I'd like to try some .315" balls, as so far, I've only used .311's.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:44:21 AM by Daryl »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
Bill was our neighbour, and ran the Chev dealership at Nilestown, Daryl.  Jim sold you the rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:57 AM »
I too love shooting small calbier rifles, probably because I love to squirrel hunt.  Most of the rifles I build are smaller calibers. While sighting in my .54 caliber for deer season, something just seemed odd about loading such a big caliber rifle.
     Right now I have a .45, .42, .40, .38, .36 and a .30, all waiting to be made into rifles.  A couple years ago I ordered three barrels from Ed Rayl then came across some good deals here.  So I  guess I am just a low caliber type of guy.
                                                                               Brian
B. Lakatos

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »
Right - Taylor- Jim it is/was.  Rather than Bill Chambers, though, I mixed up his name with Bill Shiman - perhaps - hope no harm done - expect not.

Brian- that's quite a run of little guys. I do like the .32 and the .40 & .45, however it's the big guns that really excite me and the .69 is the best of all.  There's just something about the way that big, 480gr.  ball slams the steel plates, AND the moose.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »
For sure the .32s are loads of fun but so is the .36.  My best accuracy comes from using the same charge for both-30 grains 3f.   20 grains is no slouch either.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

eagle24

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:26:54 AM »
Daryl,
Nice looking rifle.  I'd love to see some more pics of it.  I have a .32 that Curt Lyles built and I love it.  I started out shooting .311 balls, switched to .315 and it is a tack driver.  Dime size hole at 25 yards.  Fun rifle it is!

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:54:55 AM »
I find mine shoots those little bitty dime and smaller sized holes for 5 at 25 yards with everything from 20gr. to 40gr., however out at 50 yards, the lighter charges including 30gr. and 40 gr. opens groups to 1-1/2" for 30 and 40, to 2" with anything lighter.  I'm a believer in using the most accurate charge so that's what I do.  Only 35gr. holds accuracy at 50.  Our tail walk targets run from very close card splits and straw cuts out to 105 yards or so, I stick with one charge.  Most of the targets are 40 to 65 yards, a bit out of 'range' for the lighter charges.

Dave - I hope you don't mind my posting these pictures.  I'm not trying to steal your thread, just trying to give you some style ideas. It's a terrific little rifle, fast becoming my faourite 'trail walk' rifle.  I use a 5/16" steel rod in it to give it some weight for offhand shooting.  It loads exceptionally easy with a .020" patch and .311 ball.  The grooves are very narrow, which concerned me a bit, but it needn't have.

The grooves show white in this photo taken to show the crown.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:08:34 PM by Daryl »

northmn

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »
I hae never made or shot a 36.  That is posible also.  It can use a 5/16 ramrod where the 32 gets a bit cramped with one.  It used to be THE squirrel rifle when I started shooting BP. I have had 32s also.  Neither a 36 or a 32 is going to break me for shooting costs and as Wvmtnman pointed out they take the same charge.  Another fun gun I had was a Brown Bess and then a 12 bore fowler.  some people from Canada and Montana enjoy shoulder thumpers also.  The 12 bore would devastate gongs at BP shoots.  Not going to build a big one but some do like them even in rifles.  Still have fond memories of the 12 bore fowler.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
I admit to knocking down more than my share of targets, both on our own range as well as at Hefley Creek Rondy, when using the .69 Rifle.  Amazing what a 165gr. of 2f and a 484gr. round ball does to tri-pod mounted steel target mounted on chains. It will flip a 50 pound target right onto it's back. What fun! ;D ;D

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:47 AM »
My 32cal with it's C. Brooks barrel also has very narrow grooves. It is not a problem as long as you load  tight  with adequate (meaning quality) lube  to keep powder fouling soft.  It shoots 1"  groups at 50 yds, but looses  too much energy for knockdown targets at 100yds. A 36cal  will  do a better job there.  BTW, both will  destroy a grey squirrel with a body  shot.  Head  shots  only.
Gene

jbtusa

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
The little .32 is a blast.  They are cheap to shoot too.  I'll post a photo tomorrow. 

William Worth

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
This may be old news to many, but try some #1 Buck (.300) with a thick patch for .32 RB's.  I think that comes to about 800-900/ 5lb. box of Hornadys.

I really don't want to cast .32 roundballs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:56:19 PM by William Worth »

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
#1 Buck, is pure lead, would run 172 to the pound and if 3 to 5% antimony, would be higher, perhaps 180/182.

I have some 00 to try, otherwise I'll stick with the Lee DC .311" mould which puts them out pretty fast. Hornady sells boxed at .315's as well as .310" but they are expensive.  Taylor ordered a 5# box of #3Buck (or 4's) at .250" which were cheap, except the shipping more than doubled the cost to get them here.  By all means, if you can get pure lead buckshot locally, it would be worth it - maybe even having to order from afar - as $30.00 is only an hour's wage - if you think of it that way.  Not having a sprue would be nice, but a sprue does help in string, straw and card cuts.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »
"00" buck      "1" buck ??    All my friends and me shoot "0" buck in 32's.  Have for years.
That's in  four different pistols three different barrels, and two rifles. Patching is .010-.015.
The Pistol Shooter

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »
Not sure what '0' buck measures, maybe .310" or .300" as '00' is .320", same as the Egnlish designation SSG up here.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Something is screwey and it might be me.  "0" Buck that I use comes from Hornady and is
.320-.324  in dia..   I think.   
The Pistol Shooter

willyr

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 01:47:58 AM »
I have fired many thousands of shots in small caliber rifles and I have never had any problem with accuracy at 100 yards. I have always used a bore size or slightly larger than bore sized ball with a patch that measures .017", lubed with either soapy water (shooting) or olive oil (hunting). I took to heart what I read in " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts about his experience shooting a .30 caliber muzzleloader. Those who say the .32 or .36 are no good at 100 yds. need to read that book.
Be Well,
Bill

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
You're right, Bill.  The first day at the range with my new .32, I fired 3 shots at 100 yards for a sight check using a powder charge that later shot open groups (2") later, at 50 yards. Those three shots plunked into a 4", perhaps 4 1/2" group, just about exactly double the size of the 5 shot group I later produced with the same load at 50 yards.  Since finding 5gr. more powder shrinks the group size in 1/2 at 50 yards, I expect to be able to hold into 2" or so, at 100 off the bags. Not bad for a .32.  Wind plays a tremendous tune on that little 42gr. ball, though.  At 50 yards, holding centre, I obtained a 5 shot group with 1/2" elevation and 6" width, wherein when the wind died completely, my 5 shot group shrunk to 1" for 5.  As I noted before, any less or more powder opens this group capability - with this ball and patch combination.

northmn

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
That pretty much reflects my experience with a 32.  The wind plays hob with it.  They are easy to shoot and have their place.

DP