Author Topic: Colonial NJ Gunsmiths?  (Read 16555 times)

jwh1947

Re: Colonial NJ Gunsmiths?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
While there is a lot we don't know about our beloved hobby, there are some things that we do know.  We know where the centers of production were and we know generally what the patterns were that came from these areas.

We know that New Jersey was not, nor has ever been regarded as, a gun production center.  It is neither noted for grand patriarch gunsmiths nor stunning or important flintlocks.  That's not to say that a few were not built there.  I sifted through Sellers just to rule out ignorance on my part.  I found no surprises.  I might be ignorant about the subject, but not much more than professional gun writers who spent a lot more time on the subject than I did.

There might be a reason why there's never been a book entitled Great Colonial Gunsmiths of New Jersey. There wasn't enough to write about to fill a monograph in a magazine.  If so, I venture to say, it would have been done long ago.  There are some very knowledgeable collectors in NJ, and if there were any grand masters in their local history, I'd bet that they would not only know about it but be out there telling us all about it.  If you do come up with something remarkable, please share it.

For those who like rich pickings, instead just select one of  PA counties on the east side of the Appalachian Range  and study the gunsmiths there.  You'll find more to study in one county here than you will in all of NJ.  Or try western MD or sections of VA and NC; that's where remarkable builders did classic work in the colonial days. Now that I've given short shrift to those who are seeking something important coming out of New Jersey (other than the train from NYC) and offended all who like guns from other regions, I'll retire to the workbench, buff off some 200 year old patina from a J. P. Beck and also remove some light rust with a surface grinder while I'm at it.   

;)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »

We know that New Jersey was not, nor has ever been regarded as, a gun production center. 

Not our era but don't forget Paterson Colts and Trenton marked Civil war muskets.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »
Hey Wayne, don't forget to chrome the barrel, sand the stock and apply 15 coats of hand rubbed polyurethane. Let that dry for two weeks and then apply liberal coats of paste wax, buffing between coats when dry. This is what I do with all of my pieces at least once a year.
For in-between care, I wash then with regular detergent. Be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle for best results.
If symptoms persist, consult your physician. Opps, that is for another topic.
Dick

jwh1947

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
Nate, you are correct.  I previously mentioned Trenton and that after the machine age there was a big handful of NJ patent holders for pistol ignition systems, methods of building guns, and the like.  Just didn't come across one noted colonial builder of commercial arms as of yet.  

Regarding the notion of people with recorded deaths in the 1870's and 1880's being viable candidates for Kentucky production, I don't know if I buy this entirely.  Sure, the possibility exists, but is there not a more likely probablilty that these people were the same as most of the others listed for NJ, manufacturers of machine-made firearms?  Perhaps more chance that they were turning and boring revolver cylinders than making Kentuckies.  If NJ revealed itself to be a hotbed of early hand work, I'd feel differently.  

Let's find just one early Kentucky specimen from our new list to first establish that they made any at all.  That would be a start, other than words of speculation, which clearly mine are.  If we find 3 or 4, why, you and I can be the first to break NJ down into "schools."  Then comes the book.  Then the fame and the lecture circuit.

jwh1947

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »
Dick, there was one guy down in Lancaster who, upon getting another attic condition gun home, would immediately go for the Simichrome polish and buff every bit of brass on the gun.  Then he used Ki-Wi black shoe polish on all the iron and "cleaned" the wood and waxed it.  I succeeded in convinciing him late in life not to clean the stocks (he used Brillo pads).  He removed 50% of the value of some of his guns, died intestate, and the bank who sold them during probate couldn't have cared less.   

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 02:24:42 AM »
Ouch, Wayne; well at least you saved a few. There are some individuals still, who persist in these unsanitary practices. I saw a magnificient Neihart recently that had the afore described treatment; it's available, but how do you put 225 years of age back on it? You and I probably know who those, so inclined, individuals are since we enjoy membership in the same collecting organization. It is likely best to stay a respectable distance when in their company lest what is affecting them jump the gap and infect you.
I confess to having done it once: to the first gun I owned. It was a nicely patinated 1842 Springfield musket and I just knew that it would look better if all that crud was taken off and the beautiful original finish and polish underneath it all could shine though. So I worked hard at cleaning it off.  Well, those original finishes went a long time before I got it the gun. Underneath the patina, the metal was pitted and dirty and the wood was distressed looking. I let it hang around that way until I found someone who could make it look more presentable and did so. I certainly wasn't going to touch it again. Still have it though and as the years go by, it gets better, But, still...
Anyway, back to the subject, I have never encountered a gun that was made in NJ though there are fowlers, unmarked, that perpaps could have been made there. The Morristown
Museum (Washington's Headquarters?) has a display of guns which, while there, I did not get to see (change of exhibit), but suppose that they could have one such. The ranger mentioned that they have a Ferguson; how rare is that?
Maybe someone on this forum who lives in the area can check and report.
Best-Dick 

brokenflint

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 03:42:27 AM »
Wayne
My objective here was only to see if I could uncover any NJ gunsmiths while I work on my ongoing genealogical projects.  I think that all the names of gunsmiths (NJ or otherwise) we can uncover and make known to the community is a benefit, so I will continue to look during my research.  That PA is the hotbed of makers is immaterial as far as I am concerned, lots of folks have beat that one to death   ;D

Broke

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:14 AM »
Hi Dick,
I grew up next to Morristown and have viewed the gun collection at the Morristown Historical Park since I was 10 years old.  The Ferguson rifle they have is an ordnance version that was undoubtedly one of the first 100 issued to Ferguson's rifle corps.  The only other rank and file military issue Ferguson that can be dated to the Rev War is in the Milwaukee Public Museum.  They have a good collection of muskets and civilian guns but I don't remember any that were made in NJ.  The park used to have a storage room loaded with guns that people donated over the years.  Many were mid to late 19th century firearms but they might have yielded a local product or two.  I have no idea what happened to that little treasure.  In those days, my Dad and I were allowed to go in and look at the guns.  Can't do that anymore.

Thomas Annelly, who worked for some time in NJ during the Rev War period was clearly a fine gunsmith.  All of the guns by Annelly shown in Neuman's "Battle Weapons of the Revolutionary War" and Hartzler's "Early American Flintlocks" appear to be of very high quality.  In fact, when I get around to making a Rev War musket I plan to model it after Annelly's work as a token of my pride in being from NJ and appreciation of its rich colonial history.

dave    
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:53:42 AM by Dave_Person »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »
Dave, Hello! I have been meaning to drop you a line, but still working on it, I guess. You were really fortunate to have seen the M'town Museum. I tried to talk my way in to have a look, but the ranger just wouldn't bend. Well, I plan to donate some pieces to institutions and I can assure you that their name won't be on the list.
What they might have gotten is a T. Annely blunderbuss. It turned up in a VA gun shop a long time ago, and eventually found its way to my wall. It is walnut stocked, with an iron barrel and a nice flat face colonial lock (no bridle). Lots of nice engraving and carved at the tang. One day, I will post some photos here, soon, hopefully. Ft. Ticondroga is quite interested in it, so that may be its future home. I see it as being colonial and made before his stint as armorer, but who knows?
Any Ferguson sounds like a good one and to have an early piece is icing on the cake. Dang, wish I could have seen it. Don't know when or even 'if' I get back thata way.
Enough for now. I will send you an email so we can just jawbone some.
Best regards to all-Dick

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Hi Dick,
Thanks for the note and I would love to see your Annelly blunderbus! It sounds like a really great gun. Ticonderoga would be a super place for it. Washington's Crossing State Park in NJ also has a nice little collection of period guns including a Durs Egg civilian Ferguson, Jaeger rifle, long rifles, and muskets. Much of the collection was donated by Kjell Swan. Keep in touch.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 06:57:42 AM »
Here is one from the 1880 census that was born in 1798.  Thomas Fenner, gunsmith, age 82, born in Penna. He is listed in District 48, Camden, Camden County, N J in 1880.  Probably the same man Sellers lists in Philadelphia, 1824 - 1839.

Also, a little more on Frederick Hanson, previously mentioned by brokenflint.  The 1880 census still lists him as a gunsmith, age 70, born in Denmark.  His son, Frederick, Jr, was 39, also a gunsmith, and born in New Jersey, placing his father there at least as early as 1841.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 05:02:37 AM by Curt J »

brokenflint

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
Found alittle more info on John Fitch (?Trenton, NJ)

John Fitch, subsequently famous as the inventor of the steamboat, came to Trenton in 1769 where he practised his trade as a gun-maker and metalworker. He rendered conspicuous service to the American cause in repairing firearms and making metal buttons. He was associated with Stacy Potts in his steel works in the making of files and other implements. When the first military company was formed in Trenton, Fitch was one of the Lieutenants and held that rank in the cantonment at Valley Forge. The Committee of Safety employed him as their gunsmith or armorer, and he was expelled from the Methodist Society, presumably for working at that business on the Sabbath. When the enemy entered Trenton in December 1776, Fitch removed to Bucks County. His shop and its contents, valued at three thousand dollars, were burned by the British as it was known that he had large contracts for the repair of American arms. Subsequently his studies in steam navigation resulted in the successful application of this power to a steamboat which plied the waters of the Delaware, 1788-1790, between Trenton and Philadelphia. Stacy Potts was one of the company formed to assist Fitch in his experiments, and he with Isaac Smith, Robert Pearson, Jr., Samuel Tucker, Abraham Hunt, Rensselaer Williams, John and Charles Clunn gave their names to the application to the Legislature of 1790 which obtained for him fourteen years’ exclusive privilege on this side of the Delaware. Fitch travelled much through the country northwest of the Ohio, and made a new and accurate map of that country, generally referred to as the “Ten New States,” including Kentucky. The map was advertised in Collins’ Trenton Gazette of July 1785. He died at Bardstown, Ky., in 1798. 29

Broke