General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

South Carolina rifle

(1/1)

oakridge:
Anyone on here that collects South Carolina rifles, or has information on S. C. makers? I have an acquaintance that has a Hoy rifle made in Millville, S. C. and would like some additional info on the maker. Thanks!

gibster:
In GUNSMITHS OF THE CAROLINAS, there is a Patrick Hoy listed as working in Spartanburg County in 1820.  Jerry Nobel in his NOTES ON SOUTHERN LONG RIFLES, Vol.1 lists Patrick Hoy as born in Antrim County, Irland 1778.  Came to America in 1804.  He worked in Millville, near Switzer, in Spartenburg County SC.  He was also a fine blacksmith and made cotton gins and presses.  He died in 1860.  There is also a W.T. Hoy listed in AMERICAN GUNSMITHS, but he worked in Saugatuck Michigan (1863d).  Any chance of posting some pictures of the rifle?  Hope this information helps.

WElliott:
I have seen two rifles attributed to Hoy, both of which had extensive bone inlays and one, as I recall, had a buttplate made of bone.  Both were very folky and attractive.
Wayne

oakridge:
Thanks guys. This rifle was apparently made by the partnership of Patrick and his son Jno. W. Hoy. It is marked on the barrell "P. & J. W. Hoy  Millville, S. C." It is a plain percussion full-stock, no patch box, with brass thimbles, trigger guard, buttplate and fore-end cap. It has a single trigger and lock appears to be a conversion from flint. Stock has been split out from rear of lock panels to tang and side plate is missing. A few other minor chips and cracks. A good candidate for a little restoration work. I'll try to get a few photos.

Oakridge

scooter:
I am revising my SC gunsmith book from which Jerry Noble got his information and which was cited here. I should like to obtain clear copies of digital photos of this gun for inclusion in the book when published. jwhisker@embarqmail.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version