Author Topic: bag molds?  (Read 14959 times)

beleg2

bag molds?
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
How good are balls cast in bag molds?
Are they as accurate as Lee mold balls?
I love how they look but I consider accuracy more important.
I'm considering TOTW bag mold.
Thanks
Martin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:38:18 AM by beleg2 »

Offline wvmtnman

Re: bag molds?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »
Opinions on this will vary but I had the best accuracy out of my .36 using a .350 ball from a Rapine bag mold.  I also have a Green Mountain .350.  I tried every combo possible and the results always showed that the bag mold did better.  The only problem I had with it was that the handles got too hot.  I had to wear welding gloves.
                                                                        Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
How good are balls cast in bag molds?
Are they as accurate as Lee mold balls?
I love how they look but I consider accuracy more important.
I'm considering TOTW bag mold.
Thanks
Martin

Buy a good mould then. Bag moulds are a coin toss.
Even if you get a good one they are a PITA to cast a large number of balls with compared to a Lyman. Lee is OK I guess but I only by Lee moulds if I can't get anything else. You gotta keep them coated with a dry lube like "Mould Prep" to prevent gauling at the sprue plate if you do long casting sessions.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
You can use corn cobs on the handles and spare your flesh.  :'(    Bag moulds have a certain allure, as do small gang moulds and soapstone moulds and we know that they all had their uses, in their day.   Today, with civilization and resources readily available, were I to have to carry lead around for shooting, I'd just as soon it be the form of pre-moulded round balls than in a bar form.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »
Smaller diameter balls are best cast form a good cast iron or brass mould. I agree with Dan, wholeheartedly - Lyman, Rapine, then RCBS, Tanner(large balls) and then Lee.  You get what you pay for in a mould.  I've Lee moulds that are 30 years old and they show it. I've Lyman moulds that are 60 years old and they look like new.  Lee moulds are bad for galling, even when coated with Rapine mould prep or moly spray and lubed carefully with beeswax to preventing galling or wrinkled balls or bullets. A tiny spot of lead between cuttoff and mould top surface will actually cut the aluminum as Dan said.

beleg2

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
Thank to all for the answers.
I was thinking in  bag mold for my 12 Ga smooth "rifle" and my future 12Ga double smooth bore breechloader.
Why? Because Custom office allow importing of muzzleloading accessories but at the same time they do not allow importing anything that throw a projectile  ??? ??? ??? ???.
I'm afraid a would have problem as if I import a conventional mold, but I think that a bag mold as it looks like an old accessory, would be unsuspected.

Here we can get Lee molds more easily than others so most of my molds are Lee.
I also found that you have to watch them very close to avoid lead under the sprue plate, et all.

Thanks again and beg your pardon for my "strange questions" ;)

Martin

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
I don't know what your 'customs officials' are like, Martin, but if they're as dumb as ours normally show, having a supplier label a mould like "round/bend' plyers - 'block' plyers - 'ball' plyers or something like that might help.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:32:51 AM »
Well folks, there is a new player on the block making pretty decent bag moulds of nearly any size.

Larry Callahan of Missouri has recently begun making bag moulds that beat the cast moulds Track sells hands down. The coupla moulds I saw last month certainly suggests that the quality of Larry's work is approaching that of Rapine, but at a better price.

Larry Callahan
E-mail: callahanrifles@yahoo.com

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:28 AM »
J.D.,
Was he by chance the gentleman selling bag molds at the CLA show this last year?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:40:58 AM »
I bought one from Larry at the CLA show last August and the quality is superb. I bought another size after I got home and had a chance to try it..

dannybb55

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 03:57:55 AM »
Opinions on this will vary but I had the best accuracy out of my .36 using a .350 ball from a Rapine bag mold.  I also have a Green Mountain .350.  I tried every combo possible and the results always showed that the bag mold did better.  The only problem I had with it was that the handles got too hot.  I had to wear welding gloves.
                                                                        Brian

If you quench the reins of the mold from time to time you can avoid the heat problem. Old blacksmiths trick.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:58:05 AM »
I bought one from Larry at the CLA show last August and the quality is superb. I bought another size afterI got home and had a chance to try it..
[/b]

cwallingford - you forgot to finish your sentence - or - add another.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
Daryl--
I guess my editor was asleep. What I meant was, after I tried and checked the first one, I bought a second one. Different size, of course.
Sorry I confused you

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
NP- I was looking on a report about how it cast, round, consistancy, etc, after you got the chance to use it.

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »
J.D.,
Was he by chance the gentleman selling bag molds at the CLA show this last year?
Ken

Since Mr. Wallingford bought one from him,I can only assume that Larry was, indeed, selling moulds at the CLA show.  ;) I didn't make the CLA show this year, so don't know, first hand.  :(

God bless

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
                                                                        Brian

Brian,

I don't know how many balls you were trying to make at one time, but bag molds are not meant to cast large production runs of round balls like a standard mold.  I wrap the handles of all my bag molds with leather which works good when making a few balls at a time.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »
Well made, the bag moulds should cast balls just about as well as the J. Tanner moulds which also need sprues trimmed.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 02:04:45 AM »
Larry was in fact at the CLA show and his molds looked to be of excellent quality.  I need to get a couple ordered from him myself....  just need to decide what sizes i need!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

beleg2

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:01 AM »
Thank to all.
I have just received a loan from a friend down south, at the end of the word: Ushuaia. A Lyman .715 mold.
So i can cast a lot of balls. ;D
Also contact Jeff Tanner. Impressive service!
I will follow Daryl advise and "rename" the mold as an expensive paper weight. ;D
I will order my Tanner mold on February because I do not what to order on during Xmas, new year and holidays, our post office make strange things during this time. ???

Thanks
Martin