Author Topic: .45 Southern Pistol  (Read 7748 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
.45 Southern Pistol
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:38:08 AM »
Just about finished up my Dad's Christmas present and thought I would share a couple of pics.  It's the first pistol I've built.  Plenty of mistakes were made and leasons learned but it was a fun project.  
Thanks for looking.
Ken
7 1/2", .45 cal Rayl swamped barrel.  Davis Ketland lock  

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:38:49 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: .45 Southern Pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:51:02 AM »
 Wow Ken, that is really neat, nice lines. Is the cap poured?

Tim C.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:22 AM »
Thanks Tim. The nosecap is steel.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:57 AM »
This is going to be a Christmas your Dad won't forget!!!
Nice looking pistol to boot!
John
John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »
Ken,
Nice looking pistol. You done good!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »
Thanks guys.  Dads not much on BP shooting but he is a gun enthusiast so I figured having it on a display of some sort would make it more of a conversation piece.   
Ken

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:05:18 AM »
Like has already been said...great job!  Your dad will be proud to display it, or shoot it!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

eagle24

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:57 AM »
Ken,
Awesome pistol.  I know your dad will be thrilled with it.  Tell us more.  Did you make the hardware?  What about the display stand and the horn?  I've talked to a couple of folks who have told me that making a pistol takes almost as much time as a rifle.  Is it true?  You did a great job!  I love it.

Greg

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 04:57:52 AM »
Greg,
I wouldn't say it takes as much time but it will surprise you how much time you will have in one.  The only thing faster to me was not having as much wood to remove and not inletting a buttplate.  However, in most cases you would have the buttcap and I'm sure that would be a pain too.
The display stand I found at Hobby Lobby or one of those arts and craft places.  I originally bought it thinking I would display a hawk on it but it seemed to work well for the pistol and horn.   Horn is nothing special.  Just took a raw horn and cut it down to pocket size.
The trigger guard started off as a Lancaster guard for a double trigger.  I cut the grip rail off, reformed the bow and added the rear part that would normally be the grip rail.  Nosecap I made, the entry pipe is modified and the thimble is made. 

eagle24

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:05:15 AM »
Thanks Ken.  It's a darn cool pistol.  I may do something like that for my dad next year.  Just got him home from the hospital today.  He's doing well and the prognosis is good, but we had a bit of a scare a few days ago.  Anyway, I think your dad will be proud to have that pistol to display and enjoy.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Birddog6

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »
It looks Great, Ken !!   I think our dad will love it.  Lock looks superb as always.  Nice job !!   ;)

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
Nice pistol Ken. I really like those southern style guns. Is the barrel a Rayl  and did you make the trigger guard in two pieces?

northmn

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
Nice pistol and good job.  I made a couple of target pistols and can attest that they are far more work than one would think they should be.  Maybe its because they are so much samller our expectations are that we can just pop one out, but they do take time.  Your use of a Lancaster guard intrigues me as some of the repo trigger guards are made for people with smaller fingers than I have.

DP

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
I like how you made the angle of the trigger and the molding at the back of the lock match.  Things like this may seem simple and maybe insignificant, but I think they are important. 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for the kind words.  They are appreciated.  The guard is two pieces.  My Dad has pretty large hands and I thought the extra room would make it a little more comfortable to shoot. 
Jim,
Thanks for noticing the detail.  I think little things like lining up barrel pins on a swamped barrel, making nosecaps line up with front sights and ram rod tips and even trigger angles are little details you see but sometimes don't consciously notice but they contribute to the overall apppeal.  Things learned from looking closely at work from guys like you. 

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
Very nice!  I especially like the steel nose cap!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320