Author Topic: P.Bettis rifle  (Read 4469 times)

watkins

P.Bettis rifle
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:53 AM »
Hello folks, In my search for info of P. Bettis I ran across this site. Great site and any info garnered would be appreciated.  T. Watkins, North Ga.

mike e

Re: P.Bettis rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
PHILLIP BETTIS LIVED NEAR VICORY CREEK IN NORTH GEORGIA IN THE 1880S ACCORDING TO JERRY NOBLES' "NOTES ON SOUTHERN LONGRIFLES"  A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A P. BETTIS HALF STOCK WHICH WAS HIS GREAT UNCLE'S RIFLE FROM THAT TIME PERIOD. THIS RIFLE IS A LONG BARRELED HALF STOCK WITH BRASS FURNITURE AND PLAIN MAPLE OR CHERRY STOCK.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
Philip Bettis was born. ca. 1826 in South Carolina.  He is listed as a gunsmith in the town of Cumming, Forsyth County Georgia in the 1860 census.  In the 1880 census he is listed at Vickery Creek, Forsyth County.  I have seen one rifle by him, which was similar to the one Mike described.  I once knew a grandson of his, who had a hardware business in the northern part of Fulton County, just south of where Philip did his gunsmithing.
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

scooter

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
If quality digital photos Mr Elliott & I are hard at work on GA gunsmiths and could use this gun to help illustrate the book. jwhisker@embarqmail.com

mulelady

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
PHillip Bettis was my Gr Gr Grandfather. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at muleladyone@yahoo.com