Author Topic: Need some #8 x 3/4" long half/dome head wood screws with .038 slots  (Read 3064 times)

Birddog6

Trying to match the screw head with a tang screw. The 5/16" half dome head tang screw I am using has a .038 slot in it. My wood screw to go at the other end of the tang has a .058 slot & I want them to be the same size slot.   ::)  Yes, I know.. gettin picky....... :-[

Anyone know who has them with a thin slot or no slot that I can cut in it ?

Last time I cut the tang screw slot to match the wood dome head, but I think it would look neater to have the slots small

Other option is weld it up & recut it, but would rather just buy some if I can find them.

Thanks   ;)

Keith
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:59:09 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Need some #8 x 3/4" long half/dome head wood screws with .038 slots
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:55:58 AM »
If you want a narrower slot in the wood screw you can forge it shut and re-cut it.  I use a plate that has an appropriate sized hole and coutersink drilled in it.  Drop the screw in the plate and pound the protruding head in the countersink.  I've done it hot or cold.  Chuck it up in drill and re-shape the head.  Use a knife file to then cut the slot.  Usually commercial wood screws or the domed tang screws have too much dome.  Look at originals and you will likely see how little dome they have.  You should be able to cut the head of each to match.  I typically use this process to re-cut the slots on all wood screws I use. 

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »
I will give that a try.

Thank you,   ;)

Keith

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »
Look in Brownell's catalog for the blank screws with the tall heads.  After you get the head set in the countersink file away the top and recut  the slot to whatever width you like. 

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »
Don't know if anyone has ever heard of this company that supplies non chromed hardware.  The screw slots on the oval head screws are rather large for gun screws, but they can be fixed as others have mentioned.

There is all sorts of stuff here and anyone doing things with 18th or 19th century reproduction or restoration work may find something here they need.  BTW, I have no affiliation with this company.

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/gpage9.html

J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »
They got some nice stuff but $10.50 shipping.
I guess it is the changing times but that's a bite!
Jeff