Author Topic: Another Virginia Longrifle...  (Read 14296 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Virginia Longrifle...
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words everyone...  I would have gotten back sooner but have been spending the better part of the day digging out from our 20" snowfall.  Thanks God for Mr. John Deere!

The rifle is for a lady who lives in Washington State.  I just spoke with her today and it arrived safe and sound yesterday.  She was very happy, so that made me very happy!  As with most of the guns I build for someone, I took a bunch of pics during the process and sent them to her so she could track the process.  I also got her involved by showing different carving ideas, finish choices, etc.  She's going to do a collage of the photos and display them with the rifle, which I think is a pretty cool idea.  I don't know if she'll even shoot the rifle.  She's a certified Genealogist and has a very keen interest in Colonial America, but isn't a big shooter.

Leatherbelly...  I've found cold blue to be very durable...

Thanks again, everyone.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Artificer

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
Wow.  Anyone would be proud to own that.  Love the carving.  That's enough to really stand out and not too much to be gaudy.  Very tastefully done.

Just wondering.  Did you get an optical illusion from the wrist area due to the wood grain?  Before staining I'm sure it wasn't as much, but I suspect you had to readjust your eyeballs a few times whle working out the wrist area.  Grin. 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
Ed,   I know other folks have said it, but I had to say it too; that is a super gun!  I like the smooth flowing lines and the clean crisp carving that is just the right height.   If I could get a little more practice, maybe I could do as well. 

Mark E.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 03:20:20 AM »
Artificer...  It is a highly figured piece of wood.  Some folks like that, others not so much, and yes, it did get a little crazy around the wrist, lol...

Mark...  I thank you sincerely, but I've got nothing on your carving...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 05:25:25 AM »
Ed,

You have to be kidding on the carving.   My carving and engraving is barely adequate.   I think yours is way better.  I always try to do too much.

Mark