Author Topic: Henry Lechler  (Read 7207 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Henry Lechler
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
Does anyone have any references with images of this man's rifles?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline ptk1126

Re: Henry Lechler
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »
Not sure if you wanted the father or son, but the Frazier Museum has a Henry Lechler Jr rifle on display. Here are a few pix. I apologize for the quality - the rifle is in a display case with poor lighting.

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
Don Baird's research column in the Nov 66 issue of muzzleblasts had the following info:

"Henry Lechler learned the trade in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and advertised on May 1, 1797
  that he had set up shop in Carlisle, Cumberland Co, Pa. He bought land in Carlisle Borough
  in 1798 and his name appears in the tax assessment lists until 1843.

Kindig believes that Lechler traveled around and worked with different gunmakers, as his
   rifles show little consistency of style. In 1814 he was appointed an inspector of arms and
   became superintendent of the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. His son Henry Lechler Jr
   made guns in Philadelphia between 1831 and 1855".

All the best
Paul

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:57:56 PM »
forgot to add that vol 1 of Ky Rifle Patchboxes has pix of 5 Lechler boxes.

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
Thanks Paul.  That's the stuff I needed.  Looks like I also need the patchbox book.  I have a patchbox that needs engraving, and the print that came with it is just pitiful.  I cannot imagine anyone engraving a box as poorly as the depiction indicates.  There's a good article in the recent MB mag about engraving patchboxes, and they could have used this particular box as an example...lots of work getting it right before the design goes on.
D. Taylor Sapergia

timM

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/tfmahony/003.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/tfmahony/004.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/tfmahony/006.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/tfmahony/008.jpg

There was one other photograph of such poor quality that it would not reproduce.  These photos are shown in the first volume of "Patchboxes".............. tim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:30:36 PM by timM »

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:34:25 AM »
Bingo!!  #241 is the same box.  Thanks a lot Tim!!  Of course, I still need to buy the book.  But this will get me where I need to go.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline HIB

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:32:25 AM »
Taylor,  I saw a copy of the 1st patchbox book for sale on e-bay last evening. Can't remember the price but it was under the 'Kentucky Rifle' category which you will have to type in. This book has been out of print for awhile so save your allowance for a couple of weeks or maybe it will be under the tree next week.   HIB

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:59:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip Henry.  I've never shopped at ebay, but my girls have, so I'll check it out.  Good to hear from you.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
Armed with all the great info supplied by your guys, I went at the patchbox today.  Here's the outcome...

D. Taylor Sapergia

scooter

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Page 129 of my  book on Lancaster gunsmiths shows a Henry Lechler/ That book is now available in paperback from Cornell Publications.he hardback having sold out a decade ago. Of course there is also some biographical information.

scooter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:21 AM »
Henry Lechler. gunsmith. Henry Lechler, Sr. was variously an "under sheriff" (1785), constable (1789) and innkeeper (1797). In 1807 he was taxed as a "gentleman." There is no evidence that this man was a gunsmith, and there is no evidence that Henry Lechler, gunsmith, was the son of this Henry Lechler. In 1797 Henry Lechler, freeman gunsmith, appeared on the tax list. He was not listed in 1793 and the lists of 1794 through 1796 are missing. He was not on the tax list of 1799. Although his advertisements say that he served a "regular apprenticeship" in Lancaster, we do not know with whom he worked. From 1797 through 1843 his name was on the tax rolls of Carlisle, Cumberland County. His advertisement, below, from 1817 says that he has "returned" to Carlisle, but tax lists do not confirm his absence. On 8 January 1817 the Carlisle Gazette reported his marriage to a Mrs. Catherine Capp of Harrisburg.
   A Henry Lechler, Jr., was a gunsmith in Philadelphia from 1831 through 1855 [Kauffman, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle, p.281]. Lechler's work is discussed in Kindig [pp.472-73] and Hicks [U.S. Ordnance, II, 60-63].

"GUNSMITH BUSINESS, HENRY LECHLER from Lancaster has commenced the GUN & RIFLE MAKING BUSINESS in the house of Mr. W. Blair in the main street in the borough of Carlisle, where makes new gun and rifle locks and repairs old ones...."
      [Kline's Carlisle Weekly Gazette, 1 May 1797].

GUN SMITH BUSINESS, HENRY LECHLER, From Lancaster, informs his friends and the public in general, that he has removed his shop, into the house in York street, formerly occupied by George Hoover, and opposite Mr. John Hunter's tavern; continues to make RIFLES and SHOT GUNS In the neatest and newest fashion, and warrants all Rifles which are made by him to be equal to any made in the state, as he has served a regular apprenticeship to the above business -- he hopes from the good encouragement he has got, to give satisfaction to all who may employ him with their custom. Repairing done in the neatest and best manner. N.B. He wants a quantity of Curled Maple plank of about two inches and a quarter or half inch thick, for which he will give the highest prices.
   [Kline's Carlisle Weekly Gazette, March 28, 1798].

GUN FACTORY. The Subscriber has returned to Carlisle and informs his friends and the public generally that he has recommenced the GUN SMITH BUSINESS in the house lately occupied by Andrew Borden, Esq., where he is ready to meet the demands of any person desirous of having good and elegant work executed, and upon moderate terms as formerly.   
[Carlisle Gazette, 16 October 1817].