Author Topic: Ohio Class  (Read 6416 times)

Pratt

Ohio Class
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:34:49 AM »
Log Cabin Sport Shop
Flintlock Gunsmithing Classes

Saturday 8/23/08, 12:00 – 4:00 PM:  Log Cabin Sport Shop will be offering Ian Pratt and Jim Kibler’s class for the month of August.
   For this class we have re-scheduled Jim’s talk / demonstration on tool sharpening techniques. This basic yet very important aspect of rifle building is often a challenge for beginners, and properly sharpened tools are needed to do your best work. There will also be demonstrations on several longrifle construction techniques.
  At this class will also be discussing our plans for the upcoming “hands on” building class and will help those who are interested in getting a parts list started
     There is no charge to attend.  Once again, we encourage students to bring in any current projects, finished pieces, or other related items of interest.

We also invite you to attend our first event this September 27 -28 at the Log Cabin Shop. New and antique guns and accoutrements on display, demonstrations, shooting, buy, sell, trade, everything you ever imagined and possibly more - We will have more details posted here soon, or check the Log Cabin Shop website under "events" for information. This ought to be fun, let's see what we can make happen.   

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Ohio Class
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »
This basic yet very important aspect of rifle building is often a challenge for beginners, and properly sharpened tools are needed to do your best work.

You are so right,  Sharpening tools might be the most important skill to have. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
ken,your so right,thats one of the reasons my inletting looks like @#%$.i bought a set a h.frieght and well,that says it all!!!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
This basic yet very important aspect of rifle building is often a challenge for beginners, and properly sharpened tools are needed to do your best work.

Yep, Was it Bivens or Sanchez who claimed to be part time engraver and full time tool sharpener?

nthe10ring

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:34:09 PM »
It was probably Lewis, he was always chasing the perfect edge.  We were good friends and I used to spend a lot of time in his shop when he lived here in Fayetteville. I built a few guns there and he was always spouting the mantra " sharp tools first, the rest is easy ". There at the last he was mainly doing engraving as that was what he loved best. Sad to think he and John are both gone.

Jerry Fisher

eagle24

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

I dunno.  I came home from the CLA show all pumped to work on my rifle and proceeded to put a very sharp 1/4" chisel through my left thumb.  I'm not sure if razor sharp was good or bad.  Wish I could attend the class though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:01:03 AM by GHall »

Ohioan

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »
i was at the log cabin shop on monday to pick up some goodies.  Too bad i can't be there saturday.  They're always on bad days for me.

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:10:38 AM »
i wont be at the class sat.i have to leave sunday morning for florida with my kids and really need to spend some quality time with the wife before i go...

cglynn

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:09:48 AM »
If you didn't make it out to the class today, hate to say it, but you missed out on some great information.  Jim gave a very informative talk and demonstration regarding tool sharpening.  Ian covered the construction and installation of barrel lugs and there was an informal group discussion regarding case hardening lock parts.

Jim was kind enough to bring his latest Eister rifle out, which can be seen on another thread.  If you haven't seen this gun in person, it is truly a gorgeous rifle.

Several of the area's builders showed up and brought their rifles with them.  Some very talented guys building great stuff. 

I was very impressed and learned a lot.  Jim and Ian were extremely helpfull in pointing me in the right direction on my latest build, a cherry contemporary rifle. Hopefully those who were there can further comment, and if you weren't there, find time to attend the next one.

Also, builders show at the Log Cabin on September 27th and 28th.  It is definitely going to be worth attending, and free admission

Thanks Ian and Jim for a great class.

Happy building all
Chris G

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
Ian, Jim and the staff at the Log Cabin:

Thank you all for another great class.  Lots of good information presented in a pleasant and informal manner.  This is a spectular resource that everyone that is within driving distance should take advantage of.

See you in September for the show and demonstrations.

Best Regards

BillP

Ohioan

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:50:41 AM »
I was too busy shooting my first build for the first time!

I'm sad I couldn't make it though...  Hopefully next time..  ( i say that every time it seems)

Pratt

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 05:30:57 AM »
  We had good time again didn't we, and we are looking forward to the show in September, this one is starting to get real interesting, stay tuned..

As promised at an earlier date, we had sign ups for the upcoming "hands on" gun building part of the class. For those who were unable to attend yesterday, there are still a couple spots available before we reach the cutoff, If you are interested email Jim or myself and we can give you the details. We will still be having the same monthly class that we have been doing with the talks and demonstrations. The gun building part will happen on the same days but start sooner in the day and end later. It will be held in the room next to the museum room. Anybody can step in and watch unless it starts getting crowded, if Jim starts feeling closed in he starts throwing hammers at people

lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
anybody take any pics of the last class for us who couldnt make it...