Author Topic: old swamped barrel  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

old swamped barrel
« on: October 13, 2015, 03:26:57 AM »
 I acquired an old percussion target rifle this last weekend .The forty six inch swamped barrel is a little bit different from what I've seen in the past, haven't seen that many. Starting at the Breach and measuring every six inches .975-.961-.900-.890-.878-..885-.890-.985- the last four inches to the muzzle is 1.072 . I've never seen one where the breach end is smaller than the muzzle end . The front sight is brass about one half  inch long and about .050 high and .025 thick no back sight . the .040 cal. bore looks like it will clean up with some elbow grease . did they make barrels that are bigger at the muzzle than the breach on purpose ?If so what was the advantage? I can't post pictures maybe I can find someone to help be out. Thanks for your reply.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: old swamped barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:33:42 AM »
Sounds like a muzzle heavy over the log gun.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:46:05 AM »
Maybe whoever built it breached the wrong end? ::)
Bob

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
I think that may be a Tenn rifle, some were bigger at the muzzle. Dennis may know more about this.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »
I had two cap lock half stock rifles in my shop at the same time that had swamped barrels.  They currently were owned by two different people, but I am sure they were made by the same smith.  The stocks were nearly identical.  In both instances, the muzzle measured larger than the breech.  The barrels were both 45 inches long, but I can't remember the measurements I made in the waist.  A bit different.   I think they were made this way, but I have no idea why.
                                                                                                            Roger Sells

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
A friend of mine in eastern Washington just finished restoring a southern longrifle this summer where the muzzle was a larger diameter than the breech.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I think that may be a Tenn rifle, some were bigger at the muzzle. Dennis may know more about this.
Yup.     Also possible it was shortened at the breech end too. I have had the opportunity years ago to study Jerry Nobles collection. Many mountain rifles with muzzles as big or bigger than the breech. Many were basically straightish with a "blob" on both ends......more or less. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
What Acer said.  A neighbor brought an old percussion rifle with backaction lock and hand forged iron furniture over to show me several months ago.  I had intended to photograph it to show folks on this site, but have not seen him since.  It appeared to be a late Tennessee mountain rifle to me, with its exaggerated drop, deep crescent buttplate and small caliber.  Its muzzle was larger than the breech.  These things were hand forged and ground to shape.  The larger muzzle may have been intentional, and may have been accidental.  It seems the old gunsmiths were often not concerned about the grain of the wood through the wrist, and maybe not about the barrel profile either.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
Not really but I have seen several that were this way. I just figured that was the way they were built, maybe to be steadier for off hand shooting?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 02:47:43 AM »
Michigan Flinter - go South, young man.
I have one Stephen P. Pool Kentucky, converted from flint, actually made in Kentucky. Mr Pool was from North Carolina, moved to Kentucky. Barrel 46-1/4" swamped .45 calibre, larger at the muzzle than at the breech.

I'da swore I had a series of measurement but did not keep them. As someone above said, contact Jerry Nobel. My rifle is shown on pp192 - 193 of Shelby Gallien's book Kentucky Gunmakers, Volume I.

I also have an iron mounted rifle I believe to be Virginian, also converted from flint. 43-3/8" long .42 cal barrel, rifled 7 grooves. Muzzle 0.938", narrows to 0.832 about 8" back from muzzle, then to 0.862 at breech.

Both of my rifles are in original percussion converted condition. I like old stuff. Welding the barrel & nailing on some pieces of modern cast iron does not appeal to me.

With enough ambition I could get to it & measure Pettypool in some detail. Once after a nice man is finished sanding & varnishing our floors. Fun.

Anyway, that was the style, I believe, in areas of the Southeast.

From what I have seen, contemporary swamped barrels appear to have much more extreme swamp than the majority of original American late 18th - early 19th century rifles. Guess they sell better. Or meby its just my old eyes.