Author Topic: A couple of Bucks for Christmas  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
A couple of Bucks for Christmas
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:10:49 AM »
      Here are a couple of Bucks Co. rifles which I recently completed.  I really like building rifles in this style and have had the good fortune to handle and examine a number of originals in great detail.  The rifle with the simple slender patchbox is of a  more "extreme" Bucks Co. architecture, in that the underline is more curved than the classic stock.  Additionally, this gun's profile is very slender.  It uses an octagon to round 50 cal. barrel and weighs in at just 6-1/4 lbs. 
     The second rifle is a close copy of a signed John Shuler rifle displayed at Fort Ticonderoga.  This rifle has a 40 cal. full octagon barrel and weighs in at 7-1/2 lbs.   Eric Armstrong supplied some great photos that were invaluable in the construction of this classic Bucks Co. style gun. 
     Classic Bucks Co. guns were built for little more than 20 years and are often mistakenly lumped in with guns made further north in the Lehigh Valley.   One area that is often missed on Bucks Co. guns by builders who have not handled originals is the opening mechanism of the patch box.  I have included a photo of an open patch box with the mechanism exposed and a shot of the toe plate/opener.  The area under the front of the toe plate is relieved, so when it is pushed it activates the pushrod to the catch.   

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: A couple of Bucks for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:34:11 AM »
Ron,

Great looking rifles, as usual!  I really like the Bucks County school as well, love those long slender wrists.  I'd have a hard time picking which one I like more, both are exceptional.  Thanks also for the details on the patch box, and thanks for the pics, well done!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:36:50 AM »
Can you get them under my tree???  Wow, very nice!  Absolute classics.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:17:49 AM »
Very nice Ron, I hope we see them at Lewisburg.
Roger Fleisher

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
A couple of outstanding Bucks County LRs ....if they're done right as these 2 are, just the architecture is appealing, let alone the embellishments. I'm on my 6th BC and having never held an original, have some questions if you wouldn't mind? Must have woke up "stupid" this AM...exactly how does the shown release work? How are the vertical hinge plates attached...don't see any screw heads . And finally...where did the TGs come from and are the enrty pipe finials one piece? Any info would be greatly appreciated....Fred

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
Lucky, Love those Buck's county guns and you nailed them good. They got my thinker going, thanks.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
Very nice work Ron as always. I am a Bucks fan myself, also a fan of your work. Photos of your previous work are saved for reference.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
I, too am a fan of the Bucks County school.  You did a great job of capturing the "essence" of the school.  Those are two fine looking rifles.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »
Love that Fort Ti rifle- have always been enamored of that one and you did a fine job of bringing it to life.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »
Thanks especially for the patchbox mechanism view. Beautiful work as always.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
I really like these long wristed rifles too, and I think you've done a great job on these two.  Good photography as well.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »
 Two Outstanding examples, Beautiful.

Tim C.

Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »
Great work! What was the time period for this school? Are such finials on the entry pipes typical?

Offline acorn20

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »
Great looking rifles Ron.  Nice photo layout as well.
Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
       Thanks so much for the kind responses to the Bucks Co. guns that I posted.  The approval of your peers always makes your blood run a little warmer.  There have been a number of questions that I will try to address.
       Roger,  I sure will be at Lewisburg, unless the weather gets a lot worse than it was the first year.   Patty always makes our reservations way early.  I hope that you got a chance to "exercise" one of your guns this year.
       Fred,  The hinge tab is indeed screwed into place.  I do undercut the vertical side of the patchbox cavity at the point of attachment.  This allows the hinge to sit ever so slightly back out of the cavity.    The opener works this way:  Pressure on the forward end of the toe plate pushes the push rod upward against the catch spring, causing it to move away from the catch attached to the patchbox lid.  The spring used here is made from metal strapping material and is screwed to the bottom of the patchbox cavity.  The originals were hand forged and were driven into the bottom of the patchbox.  I feel that the springs I make from strapping are easier to make, less likely to come loose, and easier to adjust.  (as Jerry H. used to say-No Charge).  The trigger guards and butt plates are from Reaves Goehring.   He handles three sets of hardware appropriate for Bucks Co. guns.  He has two Shuler sets, a large and a small.  I usually use the large set.  He also has the Verner style hardware.   The Verner hardware does not have the thumbnail finuals.  I have not seen a Verner gun (signed or attributed) that used the thumbnail furniture.   However, I have seen Shuler rifles using either style. The Fort Ticonderoga Shuler rifle is a good example.  These guys lived close to each other and seemingly co-operated with each other.  I can just imagine John Shuler jumping on his horse and riding over to Andrew Verner's farm and asking, "Vell Andy,  have you any extra parts?  I need to make a rifle and I haff no hardware."   Let's not forget that adjoining Shuler's farm was the elusive David Thomas who made at least one gun.  His excellent patchbox is still around, although the gun is long gone.  
      Bucktail,  Most of the "classic" Bucks Co. guns were made in a period of about 20 years from about 1800-1820.   Eric Armstrong, posting here as Daniel Russell, says that there is reason to believe that  Shuler, Verner, etc., all worked at Allentown in the Rev War gun factory.   Eric can tell those stories in the book he hopes to write after his retirement.

The best of wishes, and the Merriest of Christmas to all of you.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline flehto

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
Thanks a lot for your info....will have to install one of those releases. Have used Goehring's TGs but get the BPs from Hedgecock. I think much of the appeal of most Bucks County LRs is the slim architecture and  curved butts which allow comfortable shooting while also looking nice. Have built 2 BCs that are by unknown makers and the others were modeled after Shuler. Thanks again for posting such a "treat'.....Fred

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
Hi Ron,
Boy you, Alan Martin, Eric K, Taylor, and Scott Shea really have that eastern PA styling down.  To get it right seems to require a lot of sutle craft and nuance.  I especially like the way you did the lock area.  The narrow panels around the lock allow the curves of the wrist and forearm to flow through the lock area. It is simply beautiful.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."