Author Topic: Thanks to KRA members  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Thanks to KRA members
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »
This has been mentioned in several threads so I thought I would start a dedicated thread.

Many thanks to the KRA members that set up displays and shared knowledge at the CLA show.  The CLA show is worth going to on its own but having the originals on display made it something special this year. 
It is a special opportuntity to see and in some cases handle these old beauties.  Considerably different from looking at pictures in books and esential for someone wanting to build rifles with the same look and feel.  I will not even go into how knowledgable the members are about what they had on display.  I considered myself to student of the TN rifle but I realize my grade level is K1. 

THANKS GUYS! 

I hope the two groups will pair up again.   
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

eagle24

Re: Thanks to KRA members
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »
A big thanks is right.  It meant a ton to me to be able to see and handle (in some cases) so many original rifles that I was familiar from the books.  I'm sure every original rifle at the show was a favorite to someone.  There are things you just can't see in a picture.  Some of the rifles that I had seen pictures of weren't necessarily my favorites until I saw them at the show.  Now I have a bunch of favorites.  Hats off to the KRA folks for sharing some truly fantastic original rifles.

Mel Hankla

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:27:24 AM »
     I feel that "thanks" are in order for all the exhibitors in the "antique" section at this years CLA show. At least half of the exhibitors in the antique section were not KRA members and it seems that many mis-understood, thinking that this addition was in someway a KRA show. Not so and was in no way sponsered by the KRA. Many of the great exhibits, the jaeger rifles, English or British arms, swords, bowie knives, Hudson Valley fowlers, cannons, anything that is not specifically a "Kentucky" rifle or a bag, powderhorn, tomahawk, or accoutrement to go along with what is classified as a "Kentucky" rifle, is not allowed at the KRA show. Thus, the antique section of the CLA show encluded a much larger spectrum of arms from our past.
     I personally want to thank everyone that went to the effort to share their collections and hope you're already planning for next year show.
                                                                              Mel Hankla, Antique Show Chairman - CLA

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:30:44 AM »
Mel,
Thanks for the information.  I, as a lot of folks thought the KRA was responsible for the antique section. 
That being the case....."Thanks" to ALL the members that brought and displayed antiques! 
Ken Guy
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:36:47 AM »
it was quite amazing to see the different variety of firearms there.and the information flowed so freely,thanks to everyone there,i really came away with alot...

don getz

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:40 AM »
Mel.....I realize that the KRA is dedicated to the study and collection of just "Kentuckies", but this show went so far beyond that.  It was such a joy to see the great variety of items displayed there.  It is hard to put into words the
effect this has on the show.  While the CLA portion itself is great, and seems to be getting better, the addition of this
old stuff really adds to the overall greatness of this show.  From my point of view, I think this was the greatest collection
of items ever put under one roof at one time.  If you gathered together those individuals with all of their old stuff, congratulations, you did a great job.  I hope it will happen again next year....Don

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »
Mel,
Thanks for the work you did on encouraging the owners of antique collections to display at this years CLA show. I firmly believe it will ultimately cause an expansion of interest in antique arms and accouterments.

The CLA membership contains many young people that have a long lifetime to further develop their passion for these items. I wish I had been exposed to shows of this nature years ago.

Thanks for your efforts,
Dennis Glazener
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the antique/original collectors who displayed their collections. It was so special to see a table full of Wylie Higgens guns, to see so many guns made famous by the RCA and other books and so many others.  To be able to handle them and inspect them and take pictures was a tremendous ....well, blessing!.... I certainly want to encourgae the ontinuation of this feature and hope it will grow...even tyhogh I am still overwhelmed!!  It was great to see all the fowlers and  muskets and Jaegers as well as the other assorted antiques and accoutrements.  You kno, it also added a tremendous perspective to the viewing of the contemporary work as well......!!!

Thanks, is all I can say.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:36:41 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Mel Hankla

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
Don, there is no reason that it will not happen again next year. However, it can't help but to be different as some of the great exhibits will not be back. Tom Grinslade for one, is retiring his great powder horn exhibit. This was it's third time out, and won top honors each time. It was shown at the CLA as it was at the American Society of Arms Collectors. At the KRA he only used three panels as the first panel of "early" horns for match locks and such was not pertinent. This is not to say that Tom will not be back and have another great display. You know, he wrote the book on American Fowlers, and we hope he will bring his collection of fowlers next year.   Already new exhibitors that were not able to attend this year have announced that they are making plans to be present next year. Others that were present this time are excited and already planning their exhibits for next year. Same as the exhibitors on the Contemporary side.  We worked hard this year to "set the standard" and I will do my best to see that we only move up from where we have started.
     You wrote, "Mel.....I realize that the KRA is dedicated to the study and collection of just "Kentuckies", but this show went so far beyond that. " I could not agree more, and that is the wonderful part of the CLA and this inclusion of antique arms. The CLA has evolved into an eclectic art show of many associated things, and this opens the door for the full spectrum of antique arms, accouterments, armament and art as well.
     It takes everyone to create such an electric experience as this show was and I think we can rest assured that a section of antiques will be a permanent fixture at the Contemporary Longrifle Association meeting.

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
Seeing the original guns was the highlight of my first trip to the CLA show.  There were fantastic original and contemporary items present.

Thank you to everyone who brought their guns and accoutrements for the rest of us to enjoy.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
Just my humble opinion, but I’ll bet that seeing and handling some of those good old originals will help to make some of the builders here better.
I’d bet that most of the top builders here have had ample opportunity to examine originals, and that’s partly why their guns are so good.
Looking at pictures, no matter how good or detailed, just isn’t the same as having the real deal in your hands!
I’ll bet that a lot of the up and coming builders here that got to handle the old things will build their next rifles easier, and with more confidence.
John
John Robbins

lew wetzel

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »
john,i can attest as a new builder that i will be doing things differently from now on.getting to handle and see the originals was a highlight for me.i was really surprised to see how thick the stocks are through the cheek piece area and how slim the forend really is.i have seen the light.......lol

PINYONE

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
I didn't make the CLA Show. Wallace Gusler told me said "man I wish you were there" -it was the best yet. It can be reasonably understood that hardly no one has more energy and love of Contemporary and Original Rifles and Accoutrements then Mel does. Not to mention his Acting and potraying historic figures from the 18th century. I like the difference between the CLA and the KRA- both are totally headed in different directions- The KRA reseach of originals- CLA the remake of rifles and accoutrements as new Art. I have been a KRA member for quite a long spell and still thank my sponsors back in the 80,s,one who is one of the best builders ever. Mel not only is a scholar and promoter but a good riflesmith in his own right. Always be on the lookout for originals as that is where the History comes from, The Great Pinyone.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:29:24 AM »
I wasn't there this year, but hope to be next year. I'd love to display a few of my originals. I'm a KRA member, and greatly appreciate what the KRA does, but I sometimes feel that the KRA is a bit too narrow in what is considered a long rifle. Under KRA rules, rifles made west of the Mississippi River are not allowed. This would exclude Hawken, as well as some other fine plains rifles. I have owned rifles that were fullstocks with patchboxes, that would not be allowed at a KRA show, because they were made in Iowa. I'm glad to hear that the CLA show is more all-inclusive of guns that are definitely related.