Author Topic: How I keep my pins organised.  (Read 13013 times)

Offline BJH

How I keep my pins organised.
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
I keep a piece of pine with a generic long rifle drawn on it. I have pin holes drilled in it in all the normal places. As all the pins are different lengths this keeps them all organised during the various assembly and disassemble steps. Plus prevents loss of the pins on my normally messy bench.
BJH

Offline Don Getz

Re: How I keep my pins organised.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 05:48:31 AM »
Darn BJ, I knew you had to be good at something.   That's a great idea, I'm always having trouble keeping those things
organized, will have to make one, thanks...............Doon

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:26 AM »
I'm on my way to the shop to make one. Great idea.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »
I have been using this rig for years. I just couldn't figure a simpler way to keep them straight, and not lost. Some folks are more organised than me. They even have neat work benches.(Sign of a truely sick mind)  :D
BJH

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
I was continously loosing track of a screws, pins, etc.  How many times ya browned a barrel & misc & go to put it together & you can't find a screw or pin or whatever  ?   ::)   Or ya got them all browned & ya look & say "oh $#@*... did I have those two longer ones in the toeplate or the patchbox ?? "  And where in the He// did the front sight go ?

Here is how I keep up with them. Simple, & easy ....... Old silverware container with sections, just moved the one piece over to allow a t/guard. Keep the screws  & pins with the piece they attach........ no more hunting misplaced parts.  Yes, crude...........   but it works.

As for a clean workbench ?  Only had one 1 time, when I built the bench 25 years ago.   ;D  Been a total disaster ever since   ::)

Keith

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:18:02 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »
Ever go to the chisel store and buy a chisel that you need?

You get home and you find you already have one?

So here's the ticket for that: take a thin board, and stamp each chisel you own into it. I stamp my palm chisels into one area, bent gouges in another, and straights in another.

Also important: Bring the board with you to the store. Maybe tie your car keys to it so you can't leave without either one.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:46:10 AM »
 :) Geesums!  I would definately have to do the same thing before going to Wood Craft to buy chisels...  A mind is a awefull thing to waste....
BJH

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:15:09 AM »
I'm ashamed to post this picture of what I use but it has served me well for years.  I have a piece of maple ready to make a nice pin, bolt and screw holder but just haven't got around to it yet.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:57:01 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
I use a small turned wooden bowl to keep my parts in when they are not on the gun.  I have not lost any parts in a long time but it does take some searching in the bottom of the bowl to find the small parts. 

The ideas here good ones and I will be thinking about incorporating them in to my methods.

Bruce

Offline BJH

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
Heck Ken that's not much diferent than what I do.  I know my rough drawing is pretty abstract too. The only thing that matters is that the tool helps to keep the screws and pins straight. I also have a piece of scrap pine with screw holes in all the usual places to keep my patch box screws organised.  After filing and adjusting the heads this is a big help too.
BJH

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
My board is pretty rough.  I started using the board mainly to get the same screw back in the same hole each time but it has really cut down on lost pins.  Those little buggers seem to have legs unless you put them into a hole.
I have a board made up to hold everything while browning also.  

Ken
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:38:36 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 10:45:30 PM »
I keep pins shoved in a scrap piece of corrugated cardboard with labeling i/e frt, M & Rear!  I have a piece of walnut strip (similar to Ken Guy's illustration) with the 'smalls' (screws) turned in and labeled (black ink pen) this keeps them around and they stay put in the browning barrel. :)

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:15 AM »
It helps to put a small refrigerator magnet in the bottom too so they dont all go flying if you bump it around.    Gary

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »
I use a small triangular needle file and file a notch in the forward pin toward the outer edge. Then two notches into the next pin closer to the lock and keep this routine to the final barrel (3/32" pin). 

I do the same thing with the (1/16" pins) for the ramrod pipes.

For the trigger guard I file the notches in the center of the pins.

I can drop all my pins into a pile and know exactly where each pin goes.

Now skrews are another subject and for them I use a small board with holes in it. I file notches into them too under the heads.

Hoot AL

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
On the two front thimbles. I will cut one notch in the front edge of top the lug. One notch for the front pipe and two notches for the middle pipe. This not only keeps the pipes identified, it all so shows orientation so the holes will line up.
BJH

g.pennell

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
For the pipes I just scribe the tabs with a "1". "2", and a small arrow pointing to the front.   Helps a lot when my CRS kicks in... ;)

I need to make me a little pin board like those shown, good idea!

Greg

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
I do the same for my ramrod pipes, too.

bryanbrown

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
I like a tobacco tin, with those flexible refrigerator magnets( you know the business card and calendar ones you get in the mail all the time) on the bottom with a bit of typing paper on top.  The magnet keeps parts from falling/bouncing out but isn't so strong it magnetizes everything, and the white paper makes it easy to see in the container, when the paper is too dirty I grab another sheet.

Bryan K. Brown
www.everyinsultandindignity.com
www.gunsmithy.com
www.jaegerkorps.org

digger

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 03:40:40 AM »
Great Ideas! Especially for a new guy like me. Thanks