Author Topic: Anyone know of this builder  (Read 4905 times)

Two Bears

Anyone know of this builder
« on: December 26, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »
The builder's name of a Hawken .54 that I picked up here in Minnesota is   "DOC HOEL"  Any of you heard of this name before?

Offline halfstock

Re: Anyone know of this builder
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
J. Wayne Heckert ( aka: Doc Heck ) as of Jan. 2008 125 maple road, Harrisburg, Pa.
Could this possibly be the maker ???????
Halfstock

Two Bears

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:59:45 AM »
Nope, its a clean lettered "DOC HOEL"   
The rifle was made for "BLACKY FOX" which is stamped on the underside as well after the maker.

TomK

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Two Brears, got any pics? There is a guy up in Park Rapids or Walker that has a rifle in a Longville store. Maybe there are similarities?

Two Bears

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
The pictures look like the wood is black but it is more of a brown/chocolate color and I can see a bit of figure in the wood and wonder if it would be better off stripped of its dark color and finished in a lighter tone.

Ben Gorey

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »
Italian proof marks, year date 1983.

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »
"Doc" Hoel used to do a lot of rendzvousing back in the 80's. Lived in the Minneapolis area if I remember right. I have a friend who should know for sure his whereabouts and will try to check with him tommorrow.

The hawken looks like a Santa Fe Hawken that was available finished or in kit form back in the 80's. They were manufactured in Italy as proof marks indicate.

Ray

Two Bears

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »
Good info, let me know what you find out.
I am taking it to Track of The Wolf on Saturday to see if they know of DOC and also pick up some parts but maybe they will know of him or "Blacky Fox".