Author Topic: Another version of chunk matches!  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Another version of chunk matches!
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:28:40 AM »
Last weekend's shoot and rondy at Whispering Pines in Pa. included as it has for past several years a reentry chunk/log match.  What is different than most log matches is that it is shot at 75 yards as a re entry and you must use your offhand rifle/rifles and although I sniveled and whined they did not allow shaders.  Shooters choice as to when during the day you shot it and of course I chose morning (usually less wind); but at that range we were shooting in to the bright morning sun, which was another handicap!    This may be the answer to the complaint about some folks not trying the log match/matches since they have no heavy chunk rifle.  Quite a few shooters did in fact shoot that match over the 3 day shoot duration! The particular target used was reduced ring 7 ring black bullseye ;)  They paid back 3 places!

Candle Snuffer

Re: Another version of chunk matches!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:29 AM »
I think there is always room for matches like these Roger.  

The heavy gun chunk matches will be with us,,, and if one were to look at this from an historical point of view I expect more chunk matches were shot with one's offhand rifle then any custom job back in the days of Boone & Crockett.

I'm behind this event you attended 100%!

To my understanding in the times of old,,, over the log matches were held under the following rules;  Choice of; Over The Log from 60 yards, or Offhand from 40 yards.  (And I don't recall reading about the use of shaders).

Wouldn't it be something if the NMLRA would adopt this historical event of 60/40 yards.  No shaders, and maybe even go as far as putting a 10 to 11 pound limit on the muzzle loader being used.

As I said, the heavy gun chunk matches will always be with us, but why not
offer something where it doesn't take a specialized muzzle loader to have a chance at placing?  Have something the common person has in their arsenal,,, their offhand rifle...

Sam Everly

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »
Hey Roger , several years ago at Friendship we had a Night chunk match . They has some lights set up on the chunk range and about 30 of us shot . I had my regular chuink gun but when i shot some practice targets i could not see the target at all in the dim light . I ran to my truck and got my little 40 cal off hand rifle. I won 2 relays with my little 40 cal and came in 4th over all . I also won a log match with the same little rifle about a year before that. The big guns are better but you can win with a off and gun too!

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »
Roger- that sounds like the perfect opportunity for the .69.  Too bad I'm not able to shoot it anymore.  Incredible accuracy that has not changed since 1986.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:46:28 AM »
Daryls,
  Go buy it back or build another one.Ha! Why not build a .79? Wooley Mammoth  gun? You could use your light load of 240 gr. of 2f for moose and your long range target load of 310gns. of 2f for bison,saber tooth and mammoth. Wouldn't want to be under gunned,would we? hehehe. ;D  Make sure ya bring a stretcher along so your buddies can take ya to the hospital to re-align your face and shoulder!

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:04:05 AM »
A .75 Purdey style like Keith's would be OK, I guess, but it lacks the flatter trajectory mine has with any load you can shoot often.  It does floor a moose, though.  There's something about a .740 ball that makes it work just a smidgen better than a .684".  :D