Author Topic: Melting Pewter?  (Read 5403 times)

TENdriver

Melting Pewter?
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:34:08 AM »
Guys, I don't have  a casting ladle and I only have propane torch or propane burner for heat.  Any suggestions for melting and pouring a pewter cap?

Planning to use pewter grains from a dealer or melt down some old ugly pewter ware.

Kevin H

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Melting Pewter?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:57:42 AM »
Kevin,
I use a Colman single burner propane stove and some metal measuring cups I got at Wally World.  No ladle.  The metal measuring cups came in a set of maybe e 3 or 4.  I use the smaller one for melting and pouring.  The stove had rather a wide spacing between pan supports so I placed a scrap piece of a grill grating across to support the cup a little better.  I don't have a picture but I think you can get the picture.   Nothing special or dedicated is needed. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

TENdriver

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:41:35 AM »
Ken, I like the concept of using inexpensive stuff for the pour.  I assume you mean some type of thin stainless measuring cup.  If so, I think i can scrounge one of those up easy enough. 

I was also considering looking for a very small cast iron skillet. I thought that would retain the heat longer.

Kevin H

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »
Guys, I don't have  a casting ladle and I only have propane torch or propane burner for heat.  Any suggestions for melting and pouring a pewter cap?

Planning to use pewter grains from a dealer or melt down some old ugly pewter ware.

Kevin H
Never used anything but a propane torch. Use a stainless steel ladle from Wal-Mart etc. Might have to bend the handle and form a better spout.
Pewter requires more heat than 50-50 but take care you do not scorch the wood. Bad pours can be melted off with a brass/copper punch heated with the torch. Second pour always works better. I stir with a thin piece of pine to judge the temp it should darken the pine and smoke some and char it just a little with a few seconds stirring.
Barrel must be pretty hot, way too hot to touch when pouring pewter or the various lead free solders.
Looks a lot better than 50-50 and is much harder too.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
  I use a LARGE spoon with the front of the bowl folded in to form a V and heat with propane.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:21:05 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »
I use a soup ladle bought at Ace. Initial melting is done in the ladle over a coleman stove. I also keep the pewter heated right up to the pour with a propane torch.
Simple, cheap and effective.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »
Ken, I like the concept of using inexpensive stuff for the pour.  I assume you mean some type of thin stainless measuring cup.  If so, I think i can scrounge one of those up easy enough.
Cheap is my style! I use a fairly small steel can out of our recycling bin, found a brass tube from an old garden sprayer. Flattened the last couple of inches of the old brass tube, curved it to fit the rim of the can, then pop riveted it to the flattened brass tube. Bent a vee shaped pour spout in the side of the can. I use a single burner gas camping stove to melt the pewter. Probably could use a propane torch but already had the camping stove.

Works great.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
That is an interesting technique Dan with the pine stick. I am just about to pour one myself and that was my main #1 thought. How hot is hot enough to flow evenly throught he patern but not too hot to scotch or burn.  That is without haveing to go out & buy a laser temp gun.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks