Author Topic: 17th century locks for New England fowler/muskets  (Read 7145 times)

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
17th century locks for New England fowler/muskets
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »
 I'm taking this here from the un-official newbie thread as it makes more sense here IMHO.    I'm looking at building myself a later 17th century fowler, club butt specifically, and have been having a hard time finding appropriate lock options.  I got a great response (see below) and am wondering if anybody might chime in with more advice. 
Waddya got for me?

TIA,
  Geoff

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #100 on: Today at 10:34:21 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff

I found an excellent article with pix of 17th Century English locks at:
http://briangodwin.co.uk/lock.html

Also Jack Brooks has some casting sets that might be appropriate:
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/riflessundriesforsale.htm

all the best
Paul
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep

dannybb55

Re: 17th century locks for New England fowler/muskets
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:03:13 AM »
The Rifle Shoppe has the best selection. Early 17th is Jacobite English. The late, high tech, modern is the Doglock. With the Jacobite lock you can do all the 17th century events. The club butt keeps you in New England though, not a bad place, that's where my family got off the boat in the 1630s. If you are doing early Delaware river valley a Swedish snaplock might be in order. www.musketsandrifles. Magnus Wiberg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:46 AM »
Hi Geoff,
You actually have a lot of options. For your purposes, 17th century French, Dutch, or English locks would be appropriate.  The single best selection that includes all of those is The Rifle Shoppe (www.therifleshoppe.com). Unfortunately, they take forever to complete orders and are very frustrating with respect to customer service.  Nonetheless, they produce pretty good cast parts.  If you are willing to wait 1-1.5 years for parts, they are probably your best bet.  At least get their catalog. If they have parts in stock, they may fill orders in less than a month. E. J. Blackley and Son (www.blackleyandson.com) in England has excellent parts sets for English doglocks.  They are generally faster than TRS and the quality of the castings is higher.  Leonard Day in Mass. makes some fine 17th century locks but they are mostly English type 1 and 2 locks (see Brian Godwin) and later doglocks.  The Rifle Shoppe has the largest selection of appropriate locks and deserves a first look. Keep in mind, they mostly sell castings that you build into a lock. You can buy many of their locks assembled but they are very expensive. Below are photos of an early English fowler that I built from TRS parts.  The lock is an early (1640s) type 1 English lock and the stock is loosely based on the Forbes fowler, which is one of the earliest extant firearms brought to New England.  The lock is a copy of one recovered from a dig at the site of a blockhouse in Rhode Island destroyed during King Phillip's War (1675-1676).  I am going to replace the ramrod tip , which is totally inappropriate for the gun (what was I thinking?).

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

dannybb55

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
Here,s the musket in context www.saponitown.com look up burial 6 and the arms group. a Jacobite doglock trade gun was recovered with a 5 foot barrel of maybe24 ga. It is all in the dig report. This site is on the Dan River. The Occaneechee traded with the VA colony in the mid 17th cent. Gotta go to work...later.

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
Beautiful piece!  I've considered a Doglock, but that type 1 you used is very interesting too.  I'm also considering an early Fusil lock and doing some file mods. But I still have some studying to do.   
The Rifle Shoppe's rep scares me too much to try them.   Jack Brooks locks look real good.   It may boil down to a Sitting Fox or Early Rustic club butt kit minus a lock and I'll source that part from somebody else.
Definitely want to stay New England style :)
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep