Author Topic: Sub Powders & Corrosion  (Read 23735 times)

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Sub Powders & Corrosion
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 12:11:33 AM »
no high humidity here in CO so i guess thats why i never see any liquid any firing the rifle.  Powder works great in my flintlock, but i do still use 4f goex in the pan.

With APP-JSG, my barrels stay heated up longer  than when i use goex or pyrodex. I have to give the barrels Aprox 5 minutes to cool down between shots to get my best accuracy.

I may have to hit Cabela's and pick up some of the most recent APP production and see if they changed the formula.  Normally the ascorbic acid powders burn cool and it takes a lot of shots to heat up the barrel. This cool burning and lack of muzzle flare had once been used as a selling point with these powders.

When you say that it works in your flintlock.
GOEX had told me to break some of the 3F Pinnacle down into a fine powder and use it in the pan in place of black powder it actually worked.  If I used the 3F as it came from the bottle it would not light the main charge.  Turn it into a fine powder and it would.

Bill K.

frontier gander

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »
I'll give that a try this evening. Right now im working up a load of APP in my rifle and a 360gr minie conical. So far 70gr seems the right spot.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »
Forgot to mention.

You may start seeing adds and Internet discussion on yet another version of the Black Mag powder. This one is Black Mag XP.  I looked for it last week at Cabela's but they did not stock it.
 Price is $29.95 for a plastic container holding 10 ounces of powder.

The claim that was made to a cowboy action shooter I know was that you can reduce your charge by 1/2 when using this powder.  Using half the charge you would normally use with black powder will produce the same velocity.
When pushed it was stated that this powder does contain potassium perchlorate.  Two years ago I had looked at the patent covering the Black Mag 3 powder.  Contains a healthy slug of perchlorate.
For those with an industrial chemistry background.  The description of the production process where they co-precipitate potassium nitrate and potassium perchlorate is a riot.  Almost describing it as a new chemical compound.

It was also stated that this powder, and its combustion residue, is not corrosive in the gun or in fired brass in cartridge applications.  This one I must see!!  a non-corrosive perchlorate???

Bill K.

Bill,
You were right as usual.  I just received the Feb MB and found an article on BMI’s  priming powder called “Flash”.  The writer said the ignition was instantaneous but also said he hadn’t fired a flintlock in years.  No actual timing was done.

In looking over the web site I found no data on Flash.  The specs sheet says their new powder has a lower ignition temp, but doesn’t say what the temp is.

I sent an email to them this evening, hoping for a sample to time.  Only “time” will tell.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
I need to report that I received a reply from www.blackmagllc.com .  I had inquired about some "Flash" priming powder to time.  I was told that they would send me some when they returned from a trip of trade shows.  I asked about the ignition temperature but didn't get an answer on that one. 

This is the substitute Bill Knight mentioned earlier and was the subject of an article in Feb Muzzleblasts. 

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.