Author Topic: Goex 3F burn rate  (Read 3933 times)

Two Bears

Goex 3F burn rate
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
Anyone know what the burn is on Goex 3F powder?

I am using 50 grains in a 15" pistol barrel and want to what load I can go to before there is wasted powder.

Thanks,

Two Bears

Daryl

Re: Goex 3F burn rate
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
What calibre?  I would think 50gr. perfect for a .50 and a bit light for a heavily loaded .54 cal.  The twist must needs be slow enough to give good results. The faster twist  'pistol' barrels usually shooot best with very light charges, although i haven't yet tested my .45 with 18" twist to see how heavily I can load it.

I am shooting 57gr. 3F in my .54 and it's a perfect load - accurate in the slow 66" rifle barrel twist, 9" long.

How BP actually burns inside the barrel depends a lot on the resistance it meets by the patched ball, thickness of patch which tightens the patches ball inside the bore as well as how much or little the compression of the powder upon loading.  In a flint or percussion pistol barrel, I would think a .45 cal could use up to 55gr. just fine in your 15" barrel. The Walker Colts usual charge was 55gr.  It had a 9" barrel, not including the cylinder.  I will also add that the cylinders originally were cast iron and many of them blew up. This was solved by going to steel and reducing the capacity to about 50gr. in the Dragoon models. The Walkers were preferred for running buffalo - shooting piont blank, a couple shots per buff and worked well, apparently. Some buff runner's still preffered the Martial .54's or English, French or German smoothbore dueling pistols of larger calibre as only one shot per buff would work.  These pistols were held in 'holsters' on each side fo the pomel. 2 per horse and of course, other's on the person.  The reason for stating all this, is to bring to light, the power of these pistols when used close in.

If your pistol is .50 or .55 cal, it may shoot more powder yet.  15" is a long tube and in either, you could easily break 1,400fps, I think - perhaps, maybe. It could be more effective close in than a .44 mag long barreled revolver - if loaded appropriately.
spell check isn't working - hope this is readable.

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:08:59 AM »
Anyone know what the burn is on Goex 3F powder?

I am using 50 grains in a 15" pistol barrel and want to what load I can go to before there is wasted powder.

Thanks,

Two Bears

I would think that the most accurate load would also be the most efficient, so shoot what provides the best accuracy.

Two Bears

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I thought the same about the load and right now it shoots good at 35 yards at 1 5/8"  I am very happy so far with it. It is a 50 cal.

Thanks 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
15"will burn quite a bit of powder for a given bore size.
If I were home I would give you the formula.
However, how much it will burn is not a indication of how well it will shoot.
Some rifles will shoot far better with more powder than they can efficiently use.
If you have a 50-54 caliber you should be able to use 50-70 grains of powder and still get decent accuracy. More than this is not likely to be needed.
A cupped breech or a properly designed patent breech will often produce more velocity for a given barrel length than a flat breech. But I have not done the testing myself. A friend and historical testing do indicate this however.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine