Author Topic: building powder horns  (Read 5106 times)

Offline yip

building powder horns
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:31:26 AM »
  where can one get a good book on building powder horns? there are some out there, but just looking for one thats the best for novice

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: building powder horns
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:28 AM »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »
Sibley's book is very good.  I learned through the book of buckskinning Vol. II and VI and a fellow he taught me.  There is really not much radically different from  the Book of Buckskinning and Sibley's but  much better images in Sibleys.  Also, study lots of originals.

Coryjoe

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
CoreyJoe is right on.  I've found the best two books are the Buckskinning volumes II and VI.  Not only good info on building a very sound powderhorn, but some info on the different 'schools' of styles (e.g., screwtips) and basic history is invaluable.  From a perspective on how to make your powder horn 'look good', get Sibleys book too.  They also have information that's valuable in building your horn too, especially if you want to engrave the horn with great pictures, in color. 
If you choose to advance yourself and for studying older horns, 3 books standout because of their history and outstanding color pictures that really shine on the details.  You may want to get  Grinsdale's recent book, William Guthman's book, 'Drums A Beating, Sounding the Trumpet', and Dresslar's book, 'The Engraved Powder Horn'.   All three I constantly refer to.
IMHO.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Michigander

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
I have Sibleys book and it illustrates every step of the process, tools needed, even antiquing techniques. I learned much of what I know from that book.
It's only $20.00,good money spent.
Michigander

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »
Yip, I have the buckskinning Vol. II and VI. If you want to borrow them I can bring them to the shoot in Feb.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Trkdriver99

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:15:20 AM »
I will 3rd or 4th the Sibley book and Scott is a real nice guy to boot. A lot of good info and some really good looking old and new horns in there.

Ronnie