Author Topic: Christmas for my dad  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Christmas for my dad
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
Amazing Kevin!!   :o   Beautiful gun and great craftsmanship!!!   I just took my three out and dumped them in the trash!!!!  :'( :'(      ;) ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
Well done, well done indeed!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
That's a stunning 3rd rifle - heck, it would be a stunning 30th rifle!  What's your background, if you don't mind me asking?
Keep up the great work.

Yeah,   I want to know that too.  A jeweler?  Fine table maker?  Awesome work. I think you've found a calling.
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep

Offline VP

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 04:25:56 AM »

It's stunning but at the same time sickening. 3rd rifle? Makes me want to crawl in a hole and give up!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 04:32:18 AM »
Kevin,
Great rifle!  I know your Dad will cherish it.  I built a pistol for my Dad's Christmas present.  I sure hope he doesn't see your rifle.  He;ll think i don't love him.  Really nice piece.  Thanks for posting the pics and welcome to the board.  I can't wait to see #4
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

flintman-tx

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 05:06:22 AM »
3 guns and you are that skilled??? Holy Cow!!

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 05:11:24 AM »
Hey guys.   Wow, I really didn’t know what to expect when I posted these photos yesterday, you guys are too nice, or maybe you’re just having patience with the new guy.   Thanks for all the great comments.
I’ll try to answer some of the questions with this post.   Yes this is only the third rifle I’ve built.   The first one rarely sees the light of day anymore.   I really didn’t know what a rifle should even look like when I built the first one.  When I do take it hunting I don’t hesitate to lay it on the ground or whatever, I don’t believe I can do any more damage to it ( I’m really hoping the coyotes might carry it off).   The second gun turned out a little better but I still didn’t know anything about engraving (and  I still don’t).  I used a dull engraver blank that I bought at a flea market and beat the devil out of it and the brass I was working on.   Now you see my third attempt…
I really have a great time building rifles but I find that I have to be “in the zone” or I’ll just mess it up.   For the past couple of years I’ve been looking for a mentor to help me through designing and carving and just generally telling me what’s right and wrong with a rifle.  When I couldn’t find anyone locally I just decided to try by myself.    I thought, Heck the only way to learn is to wade on in and the worst that could happen is that I might have to burn a few stocks but I could always recycle the parts.   I haven’t burned any stocks yet.  But who knows there’s always the fourth gun…     My plan is to someday attend some of the NMLRA Gunsmithing Workshops  taught by Gary Brumfield, Mark Silver, Wallace Cusler and some of the other great builders     ....someday, someday soon.

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 05:16:30 AM »
Hey Kevin,
   That's a beautiful rifle you have there!  Excellent engraving all around, smooth lines and scrolls.  May I ask why you chose to use only one lock bolt?  Did you use store-brand linsee oil or a home brew, it looks good.  Thanks for sharing with us.  
-Eric
Why did I use only one lock bolt?      Because I still don’t know what I’m doing.   I did use boiled linseed oil from Lowes.    I stripped it several times because I didn’t like the results I was getting and finally used very thin coats and stopped before I got disgusted.

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 05:22:35 AM »
That's a stunning 3rd rifle - heck, it would be a stunning 30th rifle!  What's your background, if you don't mind me asking?
Keep up the great work.
Swampwalker  and Model19 :  My background?   I'm a Police Captain in charge of narcotics investigations.

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 05:25:29 AM »
Beautful work !!!!!! How did you do the gold weddingbands on the barrel?

Best regards

Rolfkt
I used a milling maching to cut the slots in the barrel and then under cut dovetails with a graver.   Then I used 14 kt wedding rings and beat the devil of them.  Then filled them flush.

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 05:26:39 AM »
Extremely nice.  Is that a slow rust blued barrel, bolts and screws?

DW
The Barrel bolts and screws are hot blued.   It's the only thing I didn't do.  (haven't had the urge to try that yet)

Offline SR James

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »
Quote from Clockman:
"I find that I have to be “in the zone” or I’ll just mess it up."  "I'm a Police Captain in charge of narcotics investigations"

AHA!  So that's what happens to those confiscated drugs!  I knew it couldn't be that much talent on just the third rifle! You're busted Captain!

Seriously, that rifle is absolutely stunning.  And your talent is amazing.  I can't wait to see the next rifle.

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »
Why it just don't make no sense!!  Real artists are born.  Guess you qualify.

[/quote]Swampwalker  and Model19 :  My background?   I'm a Police Captain in charge of narcotics investigations.
[/quote]
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I think you did a real nice job on the patch box and engraving.
Looks great.
Marc

Offline rick landes

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
Simply stunning.
I am always so impressed to hear of someone giving/receiving such a great from the heart gift. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us:)
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson