Author Topic: FYI - 50% off sale on select Taunton books/DVDs - woodworking - etc.  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Carl Young

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/catalog/woodworking/really-big-warehouse-sale
"The sale ends on February 1, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. EST."

I have no involvement, just passing this along to the brotherhood. If you see something that you thing is particularly useful for this forum, would you please post here in case the rest of us missed it?

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Carl Young

Re: FYI - 50% off sale on select Taunton books/DVDs - woodworking - etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »
This looks interesting...
http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/carving-techniques-and-projects-sam-bush-061036.html
"... see how to carve an 18th-century scallop shell and gain an understanding of the production techniques of that era.

You will learn about:
•designing for letter carving
•selecting and sharpening carving tools
•carving roman and italic letters
•relief carving
•outlining
•molding (bordering)
•backgrounding
•modeling and contouring
•defining the wings
•carving the convex and concave rays
•finishing the shell

Sam Bush has been a woodworker for over 30 years. He operates a custom shop in Portland, Oregon, and gives frequent workshops. Mack Headley, Jr., who specializes in 18th-century furniture making, is Master Cabinetmaker at Colonial Williamsburg."
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline bluenoser

Re: FYI - 50% off sale on select Taunton books/DVDs - woodworking - etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
I have seen this DVD and, from the standpoint of a beginning carver with a particular interest in longrifles, was not particularly impressed.  In my case, underscore beginning.  The production is well done but the shell carving is more appropriate for period furniture and I feel the general slant of the instruction is toward furniture.  Viewed from the standpoint of a (now retired) cabinetmaker, my impression was much more positive.

I think a much better instruction video for those new to carving is Beginning Woodcarving by Everett Ellenwood.  Mr. Ellenwood explains in clear terms the properties of wood relative to carving and tool use and maintenance as well as carving technique.  I had a much better understanding of the process after viewing this video.

Mr. Ellenwood’s website is http://ellenwoodarts.com  While you’re there, check out his carving vise (base in my opinion) and picture a small vise perched on it.  Now there is full 360 capability!

Our local library has copies of both videos.  Carving Techniques seems to spend a lot of time on the shelf while it is difficult to catch Beginning Woodcarving on the shelf.  I am (not so patiently) waiting for it to show up again, but will probably just go ahead and buy it.

I have Wallace Gusler’s and Jack Brooks carving videos and think they are both excellent tutorials.  I can only dream of ever being as good as either of those guys!!  They seem to have quite different approaches to carving, so I find the two tutorials quite complimentary.

I would recommend the Ellenwood video for basic carving technique and the latter two for style and more advanced technique.  I know there are other videos on longrifle carving available, but haven’t had an opportunity to see them.  Perhaps other members could tell us what they think.

Just my opinion.  That and two bucks would probably get you a coffee at Starbucks.

Why didn't I find this site years ago!!!!  ;D
Laurie