Author Topic: Pecatonica Kits  (Read 6549 times)

Offline smoke

Pecatonica Kits
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
Hi: Anyone here have any dealings with Pecatonica Rifle Co.?How is the quality and service? Thank's. Dan

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Pecatonica Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
I have dealt with them 4 or 5 times and always good good service.

Offline ehoff

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
The stocks for my first two builds came from Pecatonica, I had good service both times.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
It has been a long time since, but I built my first rifle from one of their "Tennessee Mountain" pattern stocks.  I was very pleased with the service and the value. Dick Greensides was great to deal with.  The inletting was nicely done and I was happy with it.

As with any pre-inlet kits, some of their patterns may come inlet for hardware or locks that you might not prefer.  Make sure you have an idea of what parts you really want on it, and if there are any parts you want to subsitute, Pecatonica will work with you to substitute in some cases when they can (locks and barrels) or if not (i.e. hardware), have them leave that part un-inlet so you can use the part of your chosing.

For mine, I had them leave all the hardware (including the sideplate) un-inlet so I could use a set of hardware from Myron Carlson.  They also offered an option for a more appropriate style lock (L&R Manton) for a 1830 Tennessee rifle than the large Siler that the kit came with standard so I went with that too.  If swamped barrels were an option offered at the time, I would have gone with that too, moreso for better wrist architecture than anything - but the 40 caliber GM barrel it came with worked out great so no complaints.  They are now offering swamped barrels as an option for some of their patterns.  Ask about locks - they may work with you.

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:28:39 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:11:32 AM »
I haven't worked with them but twice, but both times were excellent. When I called them the guy that answered was the one doing the work. I had a non-cataloged combinations of parts and he told me it would take about three to six weeks since he runs them in a batch and waits until he has enough. Three weeks later I had the stock and it was a higher grade than what I anticipated. The stock had way more figure that the "fancy maple" stock I had ordered from the big catalog guys previously. My impression is that they give more than your money's worth and are nice guys to do business with.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:24 AM »
I had two dealings with them, both with excellent results.  Good people and fast delivery.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

chiefs50

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:59:43 AM »
I am working on a Fusil de Chasse parts set from Pecatonica.  I've been more than satisfied with the product and the service.  They do give you a nice piece of wood.  I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Mike

ken

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
I have used a couple and have found them always of the highes quality. No bab isues and a good fit. They leave wood where a beginner needs it aand the shapes are good. :)

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
I picked up a stock blank with the barrel inlet and the ramrod channel drilled by Pecatonica and was pleased with the results.  I've recently sent a piece of wood to have a pre-carved stock done.  Customer service seemed pretty good.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:57:26 AM »
I built my first flintlock from one of their kits - a .45 mountain rifle. I've killed a bunch of deer and hogs with it. I built it around 1988. Great bunch of folks and the stock was beautifully cut out.  Danny
North Louisiana

Mike Norin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
Dick Greenside and the other's who work there are really good to deal with , and everyone that I talked to said they really liked the quality of the wood that they bought . When and if you talk to them ask them all kinds of questions about the type of rifle that you want and they will give you pretty good information about everything , and don't worry about stupid questions I asked a whole lot of them and they seemed happy to give me good advice ..