Author Topic: Gunbuilder's Bench  (Read 39988 times)

northwoodsdave

Gunbuilder's Bench
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
I was wondering what most people use as a workspace.  I prefer to sit and so am considering getting an old metal desk (like the government issue desks of the Forties).  The metal top would resist oils and varnish and gun cleaning solvents.

But I have also looked at both mechanic's benches and woodworking benches.

I was wondering what other people use to build guns on.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

David L

Offline Hank*in*WV

Re: Gunbuilder's Bench
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:19:53 AM »
For the las 35 years I've been using the bed from an old shuffleboard table.It's about 3 inches thick (maple) and solid as a rock .
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »
I've had a stool in my shop for the last 7 or 8 years.

Looks brand new.... I bet I've only sat in it 3 or 4 times.  Just too much moving around of both myself, and the piece I'm working on.

I stand, and have the entire floor covered with rubber matting.  Relieves the fatigue from standing ALOT.

I've got a couple of benches.  I treated myself to a Sjoberg, Nordic Plus last year. 6ft long, nice birch top.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »
Standing is probably best if you can, but with my arthritis I use a drafting stool as much as possible. The height can be adjusted, and it is on casters so it can be moved easily. I still end up standing at least half the time,  so I have mats on the floor like SP.

Dale H

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
This is my setup.It's a bank of thirty drawers with an 1 1/2"thick maple top.Set on top of that is a  setup of adjustable support arms on either side of the vice.Hope this helps!!

Mitch
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:59:15 AM by rich pierce »

northwoodsdave

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
Tallbear

Thanks for the idea and pics.  I was thinking some kind of drawer setup would make a nice base, but hadn't thought of quite so many!  And the adjustable support around the vise is a great idea.

I realize standing is often better, but have a bad back.  Fortunately I also have a drafting stool, so plan to make that a part of the setup.  Hadn't thought about floor mats, but that's a good idea as well.

Thanks for the ideas.  I really enjoy working on guns and want to get a nice place to do the work.  You have been a lot of help!

David L

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »
My pictures aren't terribly good, but here are the two benches in my small workshop. Both have 3" thick maple tops which I added to an old heavy steel cabinet bench and an even older maple cabinet workbench. Space is a bit tight in my shop since I am sharing the space with a floor lathe and also a milling machine, but I still have enough room to work on a longrifle stock from either of these two benches.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:59:56 AM by rich pierce »

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
I Salvaged a 1950's era solid door that is flat smooth on both sides. I fastened it to an old kitchen cabinet and added heavy duty casters to the contraption. Now I have a flat, solid workbench that I can move around to clean under, etc.

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:27:04 AM »
I have been working towards a better mouse trap for myself since I started down this path, this is what I came up with for a dedicated gun "bench", freestanding completely adjustable , and I can walk around it.

Bench space is at a premium for me and I am trying to gain as much as possible, I do most of my furniture shaping while sitting as well as all of the engraving.

Its a mess in this picture, but I have been cleaning my shop like crazy for this winters projects. Will post new pictures when completed.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:00:55 AM by rich pierce »
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

eagle24

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:15 AM »
I Salvaged a 1950's era solid door that is flat smooth on both sides. I fastened it to an old kitchen cabinet and added heavy duty casters to the contraption. Now I have a flat, solid workbench that I can move around to clean under, etc.

What I use as well.  Any solid core door slab will make a heck of a workbench top.  Check the building supplies in your area if you decide to go that route and see if they have a damaged Solid Core Birch doorslab.  I would play around with a few setups.  The height of your workbench and work held in a vise is critical to comfort.  Mine are perfect when standing, but a little high when sitting on a bar type stool.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:14:18 AM by GHall »

holzwurm

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

I use to work at a tall bench. Then I saw this setup once - and mounted my vise on a pedestle that rotates or can be locked in one position, can be raised to stand at or lowered so I can sit with a gun in place. It's bolted to the concrete floor with 4 lead lags and is PLENTY stable and ridgid.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:01:18 AM by rich pierce »

northwoodsdave

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
I love the vise idea and, working on pistols, that would be perfect.

For a rifle I could just add a roller brace (also on a pedestal).  I already have one for my planer!

I'm getting so many good ideas here.  Thanks so much!

David L

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »
Here is another shot of the one I am using from the back side showing the range of adjustment as well as the second pivot point on the vise and also the small tray for currently used tools.

The other advantage is the portability of the "free bench" I was set up at the county fair when this was taken.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:01:36 AM by rich pierce »
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Leanin Chair

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »
I made a bench out of 2"X12" boards and anchored it to the floor with lag bolts. Its covered in carpeting to catch parts I ways seem to drop and 2 small gunvises. It is solid and works great.

Leanin Chair

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »
Leanin Chair, do you mean like this???

I've shown this walkaround bench numerous times here. It's the LongRifleSmith Guild's design. I made the blueprint for it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:01:58 AM by rich pierce »
Tom C.

El Mac

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 01:06:40 AM »
Very cool bench t caster!

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
I was wondering what most people use as a workspace.  I prefer to sit and so am considering getting an old metal desk (like the government issue desks of the Forties).  The metal top would resist oils and varnish and gun cleaning solvents.

But I have also looked at both mechanic's benches and woodworking benches.

I was wondering what other people use to build guns on.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

David L

David, many years back I broke my back. After a couple years learning to walk again, I developed a new work station to help me work sitting. Thought it would be better and it was for a while. Built me a normal heavy duty bench at seat level and installed 2 vises that I had on hand. One in front was for working on the top and the belly of my projects and has adjustable jaws. The second vise sits on top behind the first (somewhat) and pivots from zero to 90 degrees. This allows me to get the work at the right angle to my sitting position. Had to use this up till a few years ago but these days I work most all day standing. Still use the sit-down for super intense detail work because of the control I get. Never got that back from the accident, so some things just aint do-able standing for me.
Nothing fancy on the bench, so any heavy top would work as long as there's little if any give.
Susie

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »
The next bench I make is going to have a pull out draw to catch small parts like they make for a jewelry bench
David Veith
David Veith

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »
just started building my new builders bench yesterday.going to look alot like t.casters bench.so i can tottally walk around it.re-doing my shop right now as i am in-between builds.adding some better light.got some new chisels and have been polishing and honing them razor sharp.have a few things left to do.cant wait to start on another project!!!!

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »
Lew I built mine on the same Idea. Some of the things that I have done to it since building it was to make DRAWS for it. Both about 2" deep and 7" deep about five rows worth. I never really got in the habit of working all of the way around it. Did add a a 2x6+ to the top and a 1x6 to the next two rows of draw space  rows more space to put things and deeper draws. Just think it out  before you start.
David veith
David Veith

Ohioan

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
My wife got ran off the road at a rail road crossing a few weeks ago.  She put a BIG ole ding in her steel wheel.  Had to purchase a new one of course.  So now I have this steel wheel laying around. 

I'm thinking about trying something like Tom's bench. 

I'm curious about the stability of it though.  Do you have it anchored to the floor?  I'm a renter, so that's out.  The possibility of having something easily moved, yet allows me to move around the piece I'm working on is intriguing. 

Does it wobble or sway at all when you're working on one end or the other?

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:17 AM »
If nothing else use it for a base for a grinder.  Works good in that case. For lite work as a bench it would be ok.
David Veith
David Veith

Ohioan

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 02:54:53 AM »
I was thinking of

pouring concrete in it to make it heavier.  And having holes for lag bolts, a metal base pole and etc.

Don Tripp

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »
Ohioan,

I built my bench from the blueprint for Tom Caster's bench. I used 2"X12" lumber and two panavises. My bench is very stable. I can move it if I have to but it doesn't budge, even with heavy rasping or most metal work. I do have a bench vise for breaching barrels though.
     Tom Caster's design is the best bench I have ever used. I'm a renter too, so I can't bolt it to the floor but I've never needed to.

Ohioan

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 02:30:15 AM »
I was talking about Tom Cooper's bench, not Tom Caster's. 

I have drawn up a couple different designs similar to Tom Casters before though. Coopers design would just fit my current situation a little better.