Author Topic: Gunbuilder's Bench  (Read 39989 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Gunbuilder's Bench
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »
Tom C,  I just completed assemblying a work bench similar to the one you pictured.  My question to you is how far is the spacing of the Panavise's?  I received 2 of those vises yesterday and thought I would ask.
DMR

Offline t.caster

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
Hi Dave, I believe they are mounted about 34-36" apart. I know I can clamp both ends of the 38" brrl. on my current project. I use (3) 5/16" or 3/8" lag bolts to mount them. I keep one mounted 4 or 5" from the end that I do most my work from, and the other I can move either way depending on the length of the project, but 36" seems to work for 90% of my rifles.
I use leather pads (one piece saddle) for stock work for a good grip and to prevent dents.
This bench works great for pistols, horns, knives, gun furniture, etc.
I think you will grow to like it.
Tom C.

northwoodsdave

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Susanne Warren-Bicio wrote:
Had to use this (sitting bench) up till a few years ago but these days I work most all day standing. Still use the sit-down for super intense detail work because of the control I get. Never got that back from the accident, so some things just aint do-able standing for me.

Susie

That makes great sense to me.  For a couple of years after my accident, I worked sitting almost all the time.  Then I went to bartending school and spent a year tending bar.  Amazingly, the standing work was easier for me than sitting would have been though, as you point out, you still need to sit to do certain things.

My problem now is, I want to build about five benches to incorporate all the great ideas I've gotten!  The narrow, work around bench is a great idea, and that will be my first project. Now, if I can get off my seven days on, seven days on schedule, maybe I can do that!

Thanks again to all the posters!

David L

Offline t.caster

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
Dave Rase, I measured them last night at 26" apart, NOT 36" apart!
That distance seems to work for about everything I do. Good starting point for you.
SORRY!
Tom C.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
Thanks Tom, 
After playing around with the vises last night I made my initial setup 28".  Sounds like it will work just fine.  As mentioned earlier, I built this bench out of a bunch of 2x10's and 2x12's that I had laying around.  It is intended to be a prototype and could go through several modifications before I settle on a configuration and build a more permenent bench.  Or I may just keep this one.  It is sort of ugly but very functional.  I might even say it has personality.  I will post some pics, maybe tonight.  I routed out a 4" wide 5/8" deep pocket the entire length of the bench top to "capture" tools and prevent them from taking a trip the floor.
DMR

Offline t.caster

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »
I routed out a 4" wide 5/8" deep pocket the entire length of the bench top to "capture" tools and prevent them from taking a trip the floor.
DMR

LOL,
Murphy's Law #1909: Benchtop tool pockets will hold more woodchips, shavings and junk than tools.
  M.L. #1910: All sharp edged tools WILL fall to the floor and strike on the sharpest edge. Correlation to this law is: if working bare foot, tools will always land on foot!

BTW, My bench is made from 2" x 12" rough sawn OAK recycled from a weathered old deck, so it is extra heavy, and not real pretty either. Built it in 1988. The Mi. Longriflesmiths Guild used these and used to sell my blueprint at Dixon's Fair.
Oh, and the rubber matting under my bench has lots of gouges from falling tools!
Tom C.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:42 AM »
One

All sharp edged tools WILL fall to the floor and strike on the sharpest edge.

That is why I put a junk sheet of plywood on the floor. Covers the walk way for both benchs at once.
David Veith
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:40:05 AM by David Veith »
David Veith

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
My wife got ran off the road at a rail road crossing a few weeks ago.  She put a BIG ole ding in her steel wheel.  Had to purchase a new one of course.  So now I have this steel wheel laying around. 

I'm thinking about trying something like Tom's bench. 

I'm curious about the stability of it though.  Do you have it anchored to the floor?  I'm a renter, so that's out.  The possibility of having something easily moved, yet allows me to move around the piece I'm working on is intriguing. 

Does it wobble or sway at all when you're working on one end or the other?

Sorry about the delay here Zack, with my business getting off the ground again things have been busy around these parts for me and I have had little time for the net.

As for your questions, I used a 10 lug wheel from a big rig and have stashed 300 lbs of shot around the top, my shop is in a 48' refer trailer with a steel floor so I also had to shim accordingly, there is minimal movement even when using a heavy rasp.

And I can raise any part or the whole rifle up to eye level if needed, (like when fitting a butt plate) I'm getting to old to hunch over my work.

Thanks for your interest.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 08:34:12 AM »
I have a heavy table made fron 2 by 4's and 1/2 in. plywood and cover it with a whole cowhide. The hide lasts about 5 years until the corners start wearing thru.

I have a wood vise to hold the rifle for some functions, gross shaping, planing forestock, installing buttplate, drilling tang bolt hole,etc. BUT there's no way I'm standing over a vise doing anything for hours day after day. I watch TV, listen to music (currently anything by Martina McBride, Roy Orbison, or Meatloaf). 90% of what I do is sitting in a chair with the rifle laying on or proped against the leather table. All final shaping, inletting , lock and brass filing, carving etc. When you get close to finish, the leather prevents dings. The idea is to relax doing a lot of this, thus making it more enjoyable.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »
I am with you Bill.  Nothing like pushing a chisel while listening to "By the Dashboard Lights"!  Rock on!   ;D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:07 AM »
Hey Tom, where could I buy a copy of the plans for that bench?
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 12:39:07 AM »
maplebutcher, your plans are in the mail. Sent Saturday 2/28/09
Tom C.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »
I got the plans today.  Thanks a bunch.  good design and great drawing.  scott
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 06:50:42 PM »
Maplebutcher I strongly advice putting drawers instead of shelves in. I have most of my gun tools, jigs, and parts in spot this way.  :)The other thing I did was made the top about 6” wider and what became the next row of draws. In my case I made 4  rows of drawers   1 ½ deep then then some 6 or 8” deep and the bootom shelve holds molded lead bars about 400lb ;D
David veith
David Veith

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
Hey Tom, where could I buy a copy of the plans for that bench?

How much do the plans cost $$$$ ?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »
I've been asking $10.00, delivered.  5 for me and 5+/- for postoffice.
Tom C.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »
There are a large number of plans available here:

http://plansnow.com/workbenchplans.html

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
Here is my favorite work station / bench that I built and have been useing for about 3 years. I prefer this bench because I can look out over the yard & watch the deer & birds. Not to mention the natural sun light. My main work shop though is in the basement with a few more benches and most of my tools.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
I bet it gets awful hot workin' at that bench. I like the set-up though!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
No not really. I have a ceiling fan right above and a small 8" fan in the back and I turn the funace off. Its nice heating a 2850 sq foot house without the furnace for the most part. On the bench the rest on the left side can be moved further left for longer bbl guns or in more towards the center for shorted ones.
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

erdillonjr

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
If you can find an old oak office desk it would be more stable than a metal one.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
Finally constructed a workbench that is portable and solid.  It is made of white ash about 1.75" thick and is modeled after Acer's knockdown bench he takes to shows.  The legs are on at 20 degree angles, splayed in 2 directions.  I made a couple modifications- the spreaders are hickory slats mortised into the legs and they pass through.  It uses a Spanish windlass to make the legs grip the top tightly.

It's got a cheapo vise for now on one end

On the other end I have a post that goes in a mortise in the benchtop.   It will be adjustable for height.  Blurry picture below
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:45:13 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

brokenflint

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »
Rich is this for the outdoor workshop?  ;)   Nice idea, I may need one of those for when the wifie says I'm making too much of a mess in the house LOL

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
For indoors, outdoors, knockdown, etc.  I tend to clutter everything up so this will help me keep things clean and organized even when it's in the house.  When not working on guns etc for a spell I can take it down and open more room in the basement.  But I really do like working outdoors in natural light when I can.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
Rich,
Thanks for posting the pics.  Looks like it would be real easy to take apart and move.  I like Acer's also.  I recon you guys just gave me a new project.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.