Author Topic: to fly or not to fly  (Read 2419 times)

Offline yip

to fly or not to fly
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
building a fowler with a single trigger, i got a colonial virgina lock. do i use the fly or not?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: to fly or not to fly
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
There’s never a reason to leave the fly out of a lock that has one, as far as I know.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »
Keep the fly!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:18:46 PM »
I've never liked a fly.   

A fly to me just messes up half and full cocking. Actually I have never seen an original fowling piece with a fly. 
On my single trigger rifle builds, I also leave out the fly, and they perform perfectly.
Made  a "Jaeger" with double set triggers, (Modified Chambers r-f English lock) and left out the fly as well, and it has been used a lot and never a glitch.
If anyone needs spare flys, let me know.   :)

There, now you have two opinions to choose from Yip!    :-)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
With a light trigger pull a fly is absolutely necessary. Somehow last time I cleaned my flintlock on my competition rifle I left the fly out. The sear caught on half cock every shot and I had to over-pull when shooting. Worst score ever even though halfway through, a friend lent me his rifle to finish the match.
Andover, Vermont

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
Thanks guys the fly WILL be included!!!!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
I can not understand it Rich, my triggers are light, V light on some and never had a problem with no fly.  Must say I am at a loss as to why.

On English locks, I suppose some flys were fitted on rifles, but I never saw any. As for fowling pieces, I never saw a fly yet, Not ever.

I am still wondering about this, and can not come up with any sensible or logical conclusions.  (Furrowed brow and all that....)

I did hear Decades ago, that if a lock is made right, it does not need a fly;  I state this for what it is worth, and for no other reason.   
I would like to ask Mr. Jim C about this.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
I think some locks designed for a fly do not function well without one. I’m thinking it’s the angles and radial distance of the half cock notch versus full cock notch are critical features.

My lock that does not function when the fly is missing is a L&R Durs Egg.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
My last 45 caliber rifle build had an L&R Bailes lock set up with a single trigger.

I have always hated those internal fly's that are sandwiched on the plate side against the tumbler!  As I was doing my final lock polishing and finishing, I lost that darn tiny little *&%#!!

I put it together anyway and have had zero negative issues with that rifle!
Joel Hall

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »
I think some locks designed for a fly do not function well without one. I’m thinking it’s the angles and radial distance of the half cock notch versus full cock notch are critical features.

My lock that does not function when the fly is missing is a L&R Durs Egg.
A woman shooter friend had bought me her Pedersoli Dixie Cub rifle to me and asked if I could fix it because it would hang up in the half cock position sometimes when she shot it. She had such a gentle trigger finger that the sear would catch the half cock notch. I ended up machining out the tumbler for a fly and now she is a very happy competitor ;) :-*.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
Of course I don't know, but it seems that the very idea of including a fly mechanism into the lock would have been because of the sear engaging the half cock at the most unfortunate of times.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline KC

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
If anyone needs spare flys, let me know.

Interesting. Most people find it difficult to keep track of a single fly and you've managed to stockpile many. You must be organized.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »
KC,

Organised?  H**l No!  I just have  a box and have to scrounge, when I find the right box or boxes that is.
Got a PM this morn from a gent here looking for one, well I found 4  and one is right for him.   :)

I think you are the first person that ever accused me of being organised KC,  LOL!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
I think it was Forsyth who said something like: flies and safety dodges are to be avoided like a plague.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 02:37:56 AM »
When using a single trigger , I never keep the fly in the lock. Sometimes the tumbler requires a bit of work to make sure that the 1/2 cock notch engages the sear positively, but doesn't catch when firing the gun. Usually this is easy to do. I've mainly used Siler , or the Chambers Colonial and English locks, which have functioned well from the get go without the fly. I have had a fly "stick" a couple of times over the years, and prefer not to use them in a hunting arm.