Author Topic: Cleaning old finds  (Read 7575 times)

t.l.a.r. eng

Cleaning old finds
« on: January 27, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with cleaning grime off old rifle stocks with Oxi-clean? Or is that too harsh?

I don't want to refinish or remove the character, just the dirt and grime.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Cleaning old finds
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:16 AM »
On an old stock that is really grimey I use D&L Hand Cleaner, lightly. It takes off a lot of dirt but leaves the patina in place and put oils back into the wood.
Mark
Mark

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:36 AM »
I've had good results with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and linseed oil. You have to shake it like salad dressing but it does a nice job and cleans fairly gently.

Just be careful when "cleaning" any old rifle. 

BGC

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »
Don't know anything about Oxi-Clean. My thinking is to leave this stuff to clothes. I would almost be afraid to use it on a gun's finish. Go to Walmart or the grocery store and get you some Scott's Liquid Gold wood cleaner and preservative. Apply with a soft cloth and wipe off.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
I've used mineral spirits sparingly on a rag with good results, though there may be good reasons not to.  So far, no regrets for me, though. 

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
Please post a picture of the gun t.l.a.r.eng, you could have a very valuable rifle that you might not want to clean at all!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:54:22 PM by Fullstock »

Offline tom patton

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »
I have handled several guns with varying degrees of dirt. I use a soft rag,warm water, and gentle dish washing detergent ie;Dove etc. On light surface rust I use reconstituted lemon juice and oil free 4-0 steel wool.I once had an 1863 Springfield CW musket with a frozen rear sight.It took a couple of weeks until I had it functioning perfectly.I am a reenactor and in the South a gun can get surface rust quite easily overnight in a tent even in a case. I carry lemon juice and 4-0 steel wool and it does the trick next morning. One thing here is that lemon juice doesn't seem to affect patina As to antique guns when I have cleaned the dirt off I just simply hand rub the wood . It takes tine but I just sit in front of the TV,  apply hand and nose grease and hand rub. Admittedly this process is time consuming but being retired I have the time. When ,and this is highly subjective,I am satisfied and IF I want to use something on top of thr wood I am a believer in Kiwi shoe polish, black,brown,and neutral or they can be melted and blended.Incidentally I'm still hand rubbing a French fusil Ca,1700-1730 which I got about three years agosss and the results have been great.What I'm doing is really only replicating one or more centuries of handling.
As to the brass I do the same handling but have on occasion used black powder residue either by putting some powder in a bowl igniting, adding some drops of water, and wiping on or using a dirty cleaning tow or patch.  
Other's mileage may vary
Tom Patton
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:01:20 PM by tom patton »

t.l.a.r. eng

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/tlareng/HPIM0296.jpg
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/tlareng/HPIM0304.jpg

This has been in the family since the 1800's when it was first purchased by my g-g-grandfather somewhere between the Ohio-Springfield Ill area. There are more pics a couple of pages back on this forum.
Generaly speaking, the gun has no historic value other than an old family treasure.
My father has even suggested to make it shootable again. Looks like it could be done without a whole lot of work. I will have to think about that.
I am mainly interested in removing the dirt accumulated from sitting.
As an interesting observation, the wrist and forestock have been worn smooth from the hands of my g-g- grandfather carrying this thing around. If only it could talk!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
Scotts Liquid Gold....is that like Murphy's Oil Soap??
Boy, that old piece must have been a shooter, or it wouldn't have had so much USE. Or your g-g-grandfather liked to stretch a dollor to the n-th. Many old folks were like that.
Tom C.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
Now that is indeed a dirty rifle!  I would use something like Williamsville wax that is a liquid combination of lemon oil and bee's wax.  It would clean and condition at the same time.

Frank

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
That old finish will be fragile, so easy on it.
Murphy's oil soap will clean off the patina and old finish like that in a heartbeat..... don't ask how I know.
Easy does it, like Frank recommends in the last post will have it looking better with no harm done. None the less, I'd start up on the fore end just to see how it works on the wood first.

John
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »
Now that one has some period repairs!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »
Seems like we have been around the mulberry tree once before on this one. If not this, then several others. It's a nice well used, little percussion rifle of the last half of the 1800s. If the piece were mine, (I know I have said this a number of times before and no one listened then either) a trip to the store would be in order to find a tin of Goddard's English Cabinet Makers Wax, which I would apply, as indicated, to the rifle, on both wood and metal. The wax will remove the topmost layer of grime leaving what lies below, untouched. The piece will have a grand luster that liquid waxes do not produce. Furthermore, they evaporate and can leave a sticky residue. If you want that 'high' glossy look might as well use spray silicone.
Dick

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »
JTR is right about the soap and water removing the patina - especially in the lock area ( dont ask me how I know too  :'( ) - Ugly old white wood under that old black crud/patina.  Believe me - the crud looks way better than an over cleaned antique  ;)

Mr No Gold has probably got the best suggestion.  The wood won't look so dried out and it'll take on a subtle glow - Oughta look just fine hanging above the ole mantleboard..................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:12 AM »
Is there any trace of a maker's name, either stamped or in hand-cut script, on the top flat of the barrel?  A little rust and dirt can make a signed rifle appear unsigned.

t.l.a.r. eng

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
The top of the barrel is stamped 'Henry'

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
I suggest that you try some of this on a spot that doesn't show.  I think you will find that it is fantastic!

http://www.kramerize.com/using_on_wood.htm
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
"HENRY"  My first thought is that it might be a J. HENRY, a well known maker/ family of makers in Boulton, Pennsylvania, from the 1830's through the 1890's. There were a number of other gunsmiths in various locations named Henry, so it is kind of hard to tell without seeing the name.

t.l.a.r. eng

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/tlareng/HPIM0290.jpg
Here is a pic of the Henry name stamped long ways on the barrel.

Thanks guys for the advise given, I'm still not sure what I am going to do with this thing. May just put it back into the corner of the gun cabinet for now and experiment with the suggestions given.

Gary

jwh1947

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
Scott says be careful and Fullstock says maybe not at all. Please heed this advice and, to be on safe side, let one of us look at it before you do anything.  Some of us would pay more for it with the grunge of ages.