Author Topic: Source for custom ball mold  (Read 6298 times)

eagle24

Source for custom ball mold
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
I need a source for a custom ball mold.  Preferably someone that makes a mold that will work with the Lyman handles in steel or iron.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:31:37 PM by GHall »

Offline TPH

Re: Source for custom ball mold
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »
T.P. Hern

Kentucky Jeff

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »
They will make ANYTHING you want...for a price.
http://www.neihandtools.com/

Good folks to deal with--I knew them when I lived in El Paso.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
By all means use J tanner from the U.K. Quick delivery and really nice  molds. Verry different  payment method. I have used three of his molds no fuss at all.
BJH

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »
Greg,

I have used NEI for years for custom molds.  Nothing but high quality and excellent service.

Dave Z.
Dave Zoellers

Offline Collector

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:42:27 AM »
All good recommendations, but what ball size, exactly, is this 'custom' mould required to be??  ???

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
All good recommendations, but what ball size, exactly, is this 'custom' mould required to be??  ???
I ordered a .47 cal barrel from Ed Rayl yesterday.  I was trying to locate a source for a .460 ball mold.

Thanks to all for the replies and info.

Sean

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »
Why not try a .457 with thicker patches first?  TOW sells cast balls in that size as well as Lyman RB molds.  I'd think that aught to do nicely with with a thick ticking patch.

Sean
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:11:26 PM by Sean »

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »
Good advice from Sean.  Since it is a new barrel, it might be better to experiment and see what ball size/patch size combination it likes.  The .457 and a .015 patch might be just the ticket.

DZ
Dave Zoellers

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
Again, all good recommendations.  Jeff Tanners' moulds are first rate, come in any size you want, are made of brass, use Lee handles and the only feature they don't have is a sprue cutter, which owners of his moulds don't find to be any obstacle.  NEI has a .460 RB mould as a 'STANDARD' offering with a sprue cutter and will make the mould out of aluminum or meehanite.  Here's a link:

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html

I know every piece has a pet load, but as a rule, I've got two (2) different sized RB moulds for each of my longrifles.

Good luck!! 

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »
Why not try a .457 with thicker patches first?  TOW sells cast balls in that size as well as Lyman RB molds.  I'd think that aught to do nicely with with a thick ticking patch.

Sean

Sean,
Thanks, I have some .457 balls that I shoot in a couple of my cap and ball revolvers.  I definitely will try them, but figured a .460 will be better.  It will be awhile before I need anything for this one and just thought I would get a jump on ordering a mold so I had it when the time came.