Author Topic: My tough to clean 50 cal GM barrel  (Read 15133 times)

Daryl

Re: My tough to clean 50 cal GM barrel
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
harry- I noticed you use a mop when cleaning. They don't fit as tightly as a clothpatchover a jag so perhaps that's why you weren't getting to the corners of the grooves when clenaing.  Range-wiping the bore and leaving it wet with +9 plus probably gave it time to soften the corner lube enough to allow that mop to pick it up.

Taylor, LB and I pretty much clean identically and don't get anything on the WD40 patch when pulling it out of the barrel. The patch comes out spotless.  We pull the barrels from the stock and pump in just straight cold water or cold water with some dish soap in Taylor's case. No rust, no fuss with this method.  I'm testing a product called Unival, a multy-purpose lube that is also a water displacer. It was cheaper than a can of WD40 and is a much better lube. It doesn't dry like WD40 however, which is either good or bad as your opinion may dictate.  I don't know if it's available in a gallon can, but may find out. So far, I prefer it to WD40, but always have WD40 in the shop.

When finishing a stock, the stock finish is instantly removed from one's hands & especially True Oil by spraying the WD40 into one palm than 'washing' them with it, then wiping them off with a shop-rag. I then wash with soap and water.  Apparently, WD40 is also good for spraying fish bait or lures,(where legal) as well as for 'neutralizing' hemeroids. Of either, I have no experience - YET.

northmn

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »
You folks come up sith some of the darndest references.  If there is mineral oil in WD40 it will probably remove Tru-oil.  As to the use on roids, I may have theories but have found that if I express them they can get erased.  One of the things I wonder is when we fight rust are we really getting the barrel dry enough?  It seems common to oil the barrel, come back again and find light rust, reoil and have no problem. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 02:57:33 AM »
DP - you've got a point - most oils and about all petrolium based engine oils will allow rust under them if applied to even slightly damp surfaces.  The water displacing types seem to prevent this from happening due to helping flush the moisture from the surface. The very best water displacer I've found, is Amsoil MP (Metal Protector). Unfortunately, the shops that sell Amsoil here don't have it or can't get it. It's not a good lube, but still better than WD40, I seem to recall - or is it the other way around?  It is a fact Amsoil MP is a supurb water displacer, though.

Perhaps I should mention that I spray the lock all over after it's been wiped of water, using enough WD40 or Unival to blast the moisture from underneath the cock and frizzen bearing surfaces, running onto the gravel of the side driveway or into a garbage can.  The barrel gets similar treatment, with the oil running freely out the vent onto or into the same collectors.  I don't merely wet a patch and rub away. This would be similar to someone who I saw at Hefley, licking a patch and calling it a spit lubed patch. No wonder they had fouling problems. Gotta use the stuff freely.

Harnic

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Ha!  I saw someone doing that there too Daryl!  I didn't bother pointing out the error in his ways as he seemed to believe he was proficient at the game, why burst his bubble?  ;)  By the 4th shot the prb needed to be pounded down the bore because of the fouling! :D

Offline mdtnhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »
Great looking guns!!