Author Topic: Which shoud be done first?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Which shoud be done first?
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:05:54 AM »
I've got the trigger      ,lock,and barrel inlet.  So which should I drill, and tap first, the tang to trigger bolt, or the lock bolt, or doesn't it matter?   Is it one of those chicken or the egg that came first questions?  Been a while since I done one, and it suddenly, popped into my head.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Which shoud be done first?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
Bill,

If the hole for the rear lock bolt is going to go through the rear of the tang then I would drill the tang to trigger plate first so you can pull the barrel into position or otherwise make sure the barrel is securely clamped into the barrel channel Before drilling the back lock bolt hole.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:37:26 AM »
I drill the tang to trigger plate bolt first.  When I first started, I use to drill the lock bolt first, but found that when I later drilled the tang and then tightened the tang bolt, that the lock bolt would sometimes bind a little due to a slight amount of increased pressure holding the  tang down into the stock.  
                                                                       Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
Drill the tang to trigger plate first.  Then drill your lock bolt. 
After drilling the lock bolt I always go one bit larger through the breech bolster to give the bolt some extra clearance.  You don't want the barrel putting presure on the lock bolt dring recoil.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
Tang to the trigger bolt first for the same reasons everyone else just stated.   Don't really know if its all that important to have a tight clearance hole for the the lock bolt.  I never did and always drilled out a little big.  I have one right now I am thinking of cutting away so I can remove the barrel without taking out the lock bolt.  Just thinking about it.

DP